Nov 15, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
As Calvin Coolidge once said, the business of the Yankees is business:
News Corp is expected to announce this week that it has taken a minority stake in the YES Network, a New York-based sports channel that broadcasts Yankee baseball and Nets basketball games. The deal could be announced as early as Friday, according to a person with knowledge of the transaction.
It does not seem as though there will be any content sharing or anything like that. It’s a minority stake. The Reuters report speculates that a News Corp-YES alliance will give YES greater leverage in negotiating fees cable companies must pay it to carry the channel because Fox channels could be brought into the negotiation.
I think they should further leverage the Fox relationship by putting Karl Rove on postgame duty:
Michael Kay: And that’s it from here in Yankee Stadium. Final score: Oroles 5, Yankees 3.
Rove: WAIT! NO! THIS IS NOT FINAL!
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 41
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)