Nov 15, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
As Calvin Coolidge once said, the business of the Yankees is business:
News Corp is expected to announce this week that it has taken a minority stake in the YES Network, a New York-based sports channel that broadcasts Yankee baseball and Nets basketball games. The deal could be announced as early as Friday, according to a person with knowledge of the transaction.
It does not seem as though there will be any content sharing or anything like that. It’s a minority stake. The Reuters report speculates that a News Corp-YES alliance will give YES greater leverage in negotiating fees cable companies must pay it to carry the channel because Fox channels could be brought into the negotiation.
I think they should further leverage the Fox relationship by putting Karl Rove on postgame duty:
Michael Kay: And that’s it from here in Yankee Stadium. Final score: Oroles 5, Yankees 3.
Rove: WAIT! NO! THIS IS NOT FINAL!
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 41
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 72
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 26
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 132
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 32
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 110
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 89
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (112)