Nov 15, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
As Calvin Coolidge once said, the business of the Yankees is business:
News Corp is expected to announce this week that it has taken a minority stake in the YES Network, a New York-based sports channel that broadcasts Yankee baseball and Nets basketball games. The deal could be announced as early as Friday, according to a person with knowledge of the transaction.
It does not seem as though there will be any content sharing or anything like that. It’s a minority stake. The Reuters report speculates that a News Corp-YES alliance will give YES greater leverage in negotiating fees cable companies must pay it to carry the channel because Fox channels could be brought into the negotiation.
I think they should further leverage the Fox relationship by putting Karl Rove on postgame duty:
Michael Kay: And that’s it from here in Yankee Stadium. Final score: Oroles 5, Yankees 3.
Rove: WAIT! NO! THIS IS NOT FINAL!
Jul 4, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Ervin Santana is back. Trevor May’s rotation spot has been freed up to make room for him.
Jul 4, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Avisail Garcia robbed Chris Davis of a home run. It was as glorious as it sounds.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Ross, 38, is batting .189/.302/.284 over 87 plate appearances this season.
Jul 4, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
Matt Holliday has been sidelined since June 8 with a Grade 2 strain of his right quadriceps muscle.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:18 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera is going to be missed while he’s out with a Grade 3 strain of his left calf, but the Tigers are getting by just fine so far this afternoon against the Blue Jays.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT
Norris has a 6.79 ERA over 11 starts this season.
Jul 4, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Beth Fedornak claims to have suffered “permanent or continuing injuries in her neck and back” as a result of the mascot’s actions.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT
Nationals right-hander Stephen Strasburg exited today’s start against the Giants in the top of the fourth inning due to an apparent injury to his left side.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT
Bauer also had a heck of an at-bat in the process.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
It’s only noon on the East Coast, but Nationals slugger Bryce Harper is already setting off fireworks.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
The Tigers have no great internal options to replace Miguel Cabrera and not much with which to trade.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
Alderson says Collins isn’t to blame for the Mets’ lack of offense.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT
I guess the pigeon was a Yankees fan.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:42 AM EDT
Cabrera is headed to the disabled list for the first time in his 13-year major league career.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:55 AM EDT
A quick recap of a busy Friday, including a walk-off win for the Yankees.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:58 AM EDT
In a shocking move, the Rangers designated Neftali Feliz for assignment to clear roster space for Matt Harrison.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
Base Ba’al has no mercy for Coco Crisp.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
The Mets are VERY interested in Ben Zobrist.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
The Mets are getting desperate for runs, but aren’t ready to rush prospect Michael Conforto just yet.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera suffered a calf injury after a single in the fourth inning on Friday against the Blue Jays.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 12
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)