Nov 15, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
The Red Sox have plenty of holes to fill on their roster this winter, but they hope to make some time to keep one of their cornerstone players in the fold for the long haul.
Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston was told by several league sources that the Red Sox plan to discuss a possible contract extension with Dustin Pedroia this offseason. Pedroia’s current deal runs through 2014 and includes a club option for 2015, so there are more pressing matters on Ben Cherington’s plate at the moment, but McDonald writes that the Red Sox “have already decided it would be in their best interest” to talk to Pedroia this winter.
One possible motivation here is that Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano will be a free agent next offseason and is expected to command north of $200 million. If the Red Sox wait, Cano’s contract will almost certainly have a direct impact on Pedroia’s asking price.
Pedroia batted .290/.347/.449 with 15 home runs, 65 RBI and a .797 OPS in 141 games this season. The 29-year-old had surgery in October to repair a torn ligament in his right pinkie finger, but he’s expected to be ready for spring training.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)