Nov 15, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT
A tweet from USA Today’s Bob Nightengale at the owners meetings:
Selig says the #marlins trade is under review
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) November 15, 2012
Before you get all excited, remember that Selig says that every single matter that ever comes to his attention is “being considered” or is “under review” and most of the time nothing comes of it. Selig is excellent at communicating his awareness that something controversial has happened. Rarely, if ever, however, does he wade into things and blow them up. Which, to be fair, is usually the right course of action. Baseball is not made better by Selig being some activist commissioner like Roger Goodell or David Stern. Conservatism in a conservative institution is almost always best.
And in this case, as I argued this morning, I highly doubt anything comes of it. Nor should it. Even if Bud is going to play the “I feel your pain, Marlins fans” game for a couple of days.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte