Nov 15, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT
A tweet from USA Today’s Bob Nightengale at the owners meetings:
Selig says the #marlins trade is under review
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) November 15, 2012
Before you get all excited, remember that Selig says that every single matter that ever comes to his attention is “being considered” or is “under review” and most of the time nothing comes of it. Selig is excellent at communicating his awareness that something controversial has happened. Rarely, if ever, however, does he wade into things and blow them up. Which, to be fair, is usually the right course of action. Baseball is not made better by Selig being some activist commissioner like Roger Goodell or David Stern. Conservatism in a conservative institution is almost always best.
And in this case, as I argued this morning, I highly doubt anything comes of it. Nor should it. Even if Bud is going to play the “I feel your pain, Marlins fans” game for a couple of days.
May 22, 2015, 7:19 AM EDT
The Giants own the Dodgers at AT&T Park. And the Madison Bumgarner owned Clayton Kershaw. At least yesterday.
May 21, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
The Cubs are reportedly one of several teams who have looked into signing Soriano.
May 21, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
Coco Crisp left Tuesday’s game with tightness in his neck and it sounds like he’s going to need to miss some time.
May 21, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
The Phillies have reportedly talked to the Angels about a deal involving Revere.
May 21, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
Brewers reliever Will Smith was ejected from Thursday’s game against the Braves in the bottom of the seventh inning after he was found to have a foreign substance on his non-throwing arm.
May 21, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
Masahiro Tanaka took his first step toward rejoining the Yankees rotation tonight by tossing three scoreless innings in a minor league rehab start with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
May 21, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
Howard homered in back-to-back games at Coors Field and is now up to nine home runs on the season.
May 21, 2015, 7:12 PM EDT
Yan Gomes has been sidelined since April 11 due to an MCL sprain in his right knee.
May 21, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Back in 2013 the Dodgers signed Arruebarrena to a five-year, $25 million deal.
May 21, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
Victorino is dealing with general soreness which is “centralized somewhat” in his left calf.
May 21, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
Ace vs. Ace. Advantage: Bumgarner.
May 21, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
He struck out 11 dudes in eight shutout innings.
May 21, 2015, 2:38 PM EDT
Can you blame them?
May 21, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
May 21, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Morneau’s career was previously derailed by concussions when he was with the Twins.
May 21, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT
Pedro Alvarez hit a ball out of PNC Park the other day. It landed in a boat. Then some guy came along and took it. Whose ball is it and was the law broken?
May 21, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
Washington coached in Oakland from 1996-2006.
May 21, 2015, 11:22 AM EDT
Best part: its modern, non-retro design.
May 21, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Shoulder problems have derailed Jaime Garcia in three straight seasons.
May 21, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
After three straight rough seasons in which he went 32-38 with a 4.76 ERA, two-time Cy Young winner Tim Lincecum is shutting lineups down again.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)