Nov 15, 2012, 4:35 PM EDT
An important part of that big trade with the Blue Jays for the Marlins was to get themselves a shortstop to replace Jose Reyes. But it’s not gonna be the guy who played most of the time at shortstop for the Blue Jays:
The Marlins also appear to be leaning toward playing [Adeiny] Hechavarria at shortstop and moving Escobar, a career shortstop, to third base. The infielders from Cuba are very good defensively. Hechavarria is a 23-year-old who appeared in 41 games for Toronto last year.
“There is a shortstop who could become one of the great Cuban signs of all time,” Samson said during his radio interview. “A perennial All-Star, supposedly. But he has to do it.”
Hechavarria, who will be 24 in April, played in 41 games for Toronto during his rookie season. He hit .254/.280/.365. He has hit .272/.314/.381 in 1548 minor league plate appearances. He has the glove, arm and range to be a strong major league defensive shortstop, but the plate discipline, she is poor.
With young pitching, though, you figure that the Marlins are way better off with a solid glove guy at short than Escobar who, while good, just turned 30, will likely decline in that department over time and is probably not a bad bet to make the not-uncommon move from short to third.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)