Nov 15, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Wait, did I say this morning that the acts of Jeff Loria would chasten those sports teams who would dare make noise about their stadiums and stuff? Hahaha, how silly of me. Because down in Atlanta — where the huge story these days is the Falcons wanting a $1 billion new home — someone with the Braves had the guts to squawk about their 16 year-old park. At least its location:
Substantive talks are underway, with the 2016 expiration of the Atlanta Braves’ lease on Turner Field in mind. The Braves have never been entirely happy there.
“As we sit here in 2012, this isn’t where we would have this stadium today,” began Mike Plant, the Braves’ executive vice president of business operations. “I’m not saying it’s a bad place, but it doesn’t match up with where the majority of our fans come from.”
Reality reigns, of course. The Braves know they’re not doing anything about it, so the focus is going to get on with rehabbing the neighborhood in some sort of private-public partnership mish-mash we hear so much about.
All of which puts further lie to the already silly notion that ballparks — hell, in this case, entire Olympic villages — lead to surrounding development. Atlanta has had pushing 20 years to make that happen on that site, and it still hasn’t happened. They built it, and no one came, despite the promises of every single team owner in the history of forever.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)