Nov 16, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT
We learned a couple of weeks ago that the Astros were going to reach out to Lance Berkman to investigate his interest as joining them as their DH. Now they have reached out, reports Mark Berman of MyFoxHouston.com:
Houston Astros owner Jim Crane told FOX 26 Sports he met last week with free agent first baseman Lance Berkman.
“We had a chat in my office,” Crane said. “He was just seeing where we were at. He expressed some interest in maybe working a deal out. “We haven’t gotten to that (discuss contract). I think his knee is still up in the air. So we got to get that all worked out. It was a get-acquainted meeting, really.”
With the new logo and stuff there is a definite “get the band back together” vibe coming from Houston. And moving to the AL, the Astros do need someone who can DH. Whether Berkman — a man who just recently said that the AL was a “Mickey Mouse league” because of the DH — is that guy remains to be seen.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 7
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)