Nov 16, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
In case there was any doubt left that the Blue Jays are pulling out all the stops following their blockbuster trade with the Marlins earlier this week, now Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com reports that Toronto has signed free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera to a two-year, $16 million contract.
Cabrera got the All-Star game MVP and was hitting .346 in 113 games for the Giants when he was suspended 50 games in August for a performance-enhancing drug and despite being eligible to return during the playoffs San Francisco opted to leave him off the postseason roster.
Without the positive drug test and subsequent suspension a 28-year-old switch-hitting outfielder coming off a breakout season would obviously have been in line for significantly more than a two-year, $16 million deal, so it’s certainly an interesting gamble for the Blue Jays that has plenty of upside.
Cabrera had a mediocre track record prior to 2011, but hit .305 with 18 homers, 44 doubles, and a career-high .809 OPS in 155 games for the Royals that year and then took his production to another level for the Giants. Combined during the past two years he played 268 games and hit .322 with an .849 OPS that ranked 13th among all outfielders over that span.
He joins a Blue Jays lineup that suddenly looks very dangerous with Jose Reyes in the leadoff spot and Cabrera, Jose Bautista, and Edwin Encarnacion doing damage in the middle, with Brett Lawrie, Colby Rasmus, J.P. Arencibia, and Adam Lind around them.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)