Nov 16, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
In case there was any doubt left that the Blue Jays are pulling out all the stops following their blockbuster trade with the Marlins earlier this week, now Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com reports that Toronto has signed free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera to a two-year, $16 million contract.
Cabrera got the All-Star game MVP and was hitting .346 in 113 games for the Giants when he was suspended 50 games in August for a performance-enhancing drug and despite being eligible to return during the playoffs San Francisco opted to leave him off the postseason roster.
Without the positive drug test and subsequent suspension a 28-year-old switch-hitting outfielder coming off a breakout season would obviously have been in line for significantly more than a two-year, $16 million deal, so it’s certainly an interesting gamble for the Blue Jays that has plenty of upside.
Cabrera had a mediocre track record prior to 2011, but hit .305 with 18 homers, 44 doubles, and a career-high .809 OPS in 155 games for the Royals that year and then took his production to another level for the Giants. Combined during the past two years he played 268 games and hit .322 with an .849 OPS that ranked 13th among all outfielders over that span.
He joins a Blue Jays lineup that suddenly looks very dangerous with Jose Reyes in the leadoff spot and Cabrera, Jose Bautista, and Edwin Encarnacion doing damage in the middle, with Brett Lawrie, Colby Rasmus, J.P. Arencibia, and Adam Lind around them.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (87)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)