Giancarlo Stanton: “I do not like this at all”

Nov 16, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT

Giancarlo Stanton Getty Getty Images

Giancarlo Stanton took to his Twitter account Tuesday to express his frustration after learning that Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Emilio Bonifacio and John Buck were set to be traded to the Blue Jays. A couple of days have passed and reality has set in, but Stanton is still steamed.

Peter Gammons of MLB.com caught up with Stanton last night, who didn’t pull any punches in his criticism of the deal and the Marlins’ overall philosophy.

“I do not like this at all,” Stanton said. “This is the ‘winning philosophy?’ Then to say it’s not about money? What is the motivation? There comes a breaking point. I know how I feel. I can’t imagine how the city and the fans feel.”

“Jose, Bonifacio, Hanley … all three are gone now. I had people warn me that something like this could happen, but it runs against the competitive nature every athlete has, that nature that everything is about winning. This kind of thing is what gets talked about all the time around this team. Former Marlins come back and they warn us. It gets talked about during the stretch, in the clubhouse, after games, on the road. Again, I do not like this at all.”

There’s plenty more where that came from, but you get the point. Emotions are still running high, so we’ll likely get a better read on this in the coming months, but the odds of engaging Stanton in long-term contract talks don’t sound all that promising. His future with the team isn’t really an issue right now since he’s making the major league minimum again in 2013, but it could become one when he’s arbitration-eligible for the first time next offseason.

1. b453841l - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM

“They believed they could face any hardship…weather any storm…but nothing could prepare them for this. From Ken Burns, an epic saga of lives scarred, dreams buried, and hopes reborn: The dustbowl.”

Replace “reborn” with “crushed” and “the dustbowl” with “Scrooge Loria”.

2. biasedhomer - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:06 PM

If I was a Marlins fan, I would be feeling the same way.

The Marlins have traded away Reyes, Johnson, Hanley, Bonofacio, Bell, Buehrle, Infante, Buck, and Nolasco in less than half a year. That’s 5 out of 8 of their starting lineup, and two starting pitchers and a closer. You could make a decent team around that.

I can see Morrison being traded soon, he already has gotten into trouble with the organization, along with Coghlan, Gaby, Stanton and Nolasco. That’s just ridiculous.

• hockeyflow33 - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Good thing Marlins fans don’t exist

• tile84 - Nov 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM

then i must not be real, i think you meant hockey fans don’t exist

• hockeyflow33 - Nov 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Lowest attendance at a first year stadium in 30 years

• scratchnsniffnblog - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:16 AM

They exist more than the current hockey season.

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Considering that the slugs who own the team had already gutted it in July, what would you expect? But don’t look into the circumstances – just stay as happy, dumb and superficial as you already are. Hockey was invented for people like you anyway.

• dcfan4life - Nov 17, 2012 at 4:43 AM

How in the world the Miami citizens allowed their representatives to vote in favor of building a new stadium with $400 million of public funds when they have poor attendance, a bad team, and now no future is beyond me. Um look up Jeff Loria history as an owner, might have saved that city a lot of trouble.

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Another one who doesn’t know the story. Macondo citizens tried repeatedly to block the deal in court but were disallowed because our “representatives” – who were chiefly elected because they were perceived to hate Castro more than the guys they ran against – were doing what the county and city charters empowered them to do. Afterwards, the citizens of Macondo raised petitions, held a recall election and three of the four key political players were voted out on their asses by overwhelming, and in fact historic, majorities (the fourth had already retired), including the mayor.

• hockeyflow33 - Nov 17, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Florida sucks for sports, get over it

• dcfan4life - Nov 17, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Ok so your saying your representatives voted for a stadium then lost their jobs after the vote. But guess what, the vote went through, the stadium was built, and Miami was screwed. Don’t need to know more than that now do we?

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Not if you’re hopelessly superficial and the crystalline symmetry of your own uniformed opinion is all you need to get by in life.

3. flyeredup - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Miami is a joke as a sports town. I love it!

• tile84 - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:57 PM

tell that to wade bosh and lebron , they like us

• bizzmoneyb - Nov 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I guess that’s why the NBAs Larry O’brien Trophy is in Miami?

4. cur68 - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:25 PM

The poor Iron Giant. Playing ball just got a lot less fun. He’s got a long time left working for a douchelrod GM and the douchelord owner. No incentive for the the double douches to trade him; he is a bargain league minimum elite slugger. So his life is doomed to indentured servitude to douchemeisters. I hope he kicks up such a stink that the double doucheheaded monsters decide to trade him away.

5. danaking - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Not even the Pirates have been this blatant about it, and I say this as a life long Pirates fan. Bad as our ownership has been–and under McClatchey, it was abysmal–Loria is worse.

• somekat - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Loria has a ring on each hand that says otherwise. He has 2 World Series titles since the last time the Pirates were .500

You may not like the way the run a team, but you can’t argue facts. Personally, I hate the idea of making one run, then having a firesale (or in the case this year, and early firesale if it’s not working), but it’s worked twice.

• paperlions - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM

No, he doesn’t. Loria has only owned the Marlins since 2003. They won the WS that first year (Loria hadn’t owned them long enough to screw things up)…since the 2003 WS the Marlins have made the playoffs zero times.

Guess how well the Expos did while Loria owned them? Yeah, that would be zero.

• bizzmoneyb - Nov 17, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Loria only has one ring. and he got it with mostly players left here by the previous GM Dombrowski.

6. dugldo - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Never have heard what Mike Redmknd thinks of this. Takes a manager job and week later he has the team yanked out from under him. BS mve in that regard too…

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I suspect that Redmond was aboard on the trade. Coming in from the Toronto organization anyway, he knew and was in a position to help the Feesh evaluate the prospects they were getting. I suspect that one of the reasons Redmond was hired was that he was willing to go along with the restructuring of the team, if not agree to be one of its architects.

• bizzmoneyb - Nov 17, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I’m sure he doesn’t care. he got a job as a major league manager. that’s priceless experience even if the team is horrible.

7. indaburg - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I appreciate Stanton’s honesty. As a competitor, he’s been placed in a tough predicament.

8. dumbasdirt - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM

All will be forgiven when Bud Selig voids the trade and the Marlins win the World Series in the next 2 years.
    (I was as drunk as a skunk when I wrote this)

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Also sounds a little like somebody slipped some acid into your rotgut.

9. schlom - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM

If the Marlins offered Stanton 10 years, $200m contract tomorrow is he upset enough to turn it down?

• biasedhomer - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Its the Marlins, they would not even offer Babe Ruth reincarnated $200M

• jdd428 - Nov 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Sure they would. But they wouldn’t give him a no-trade, and they’d flip him to the Cubs the next season for Brett Jackson and Josh Vitters.

• crisisjunky - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM

No, they would ask for Charlie Root and the goat. And flip the goat to the Red Sox, who could use a new curse, having apparently exorcised The Babe.

• barriocolo - Nov 17, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I would take the money, $200, limiting the team trading options (I would have to agree with any potential trade) then turn into an average player (we see that often in baseball, don’t we?) and laugh all the way to the bank. Oh, by the way I would team up with Escobar now to spread the cancer in the clubhouse. I don’t believe that this would diminish my value in baseball, If AJ Burnett was traded and got a good contract, a lot more than what he deserved, anybody, specially Stanton, can do this. Baseball is a MESS. It is time for congress to step in and take away their privileges. STOP THIS “MONOPOLY GAME” Don’t you get it?

• chill1184 - Nov 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Yea because government meddling has a real great track record when it comes to fixing problems. /sarcasm

• somekat - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I would not take stanton on my team, under any circumstances, unless he agreed to once again go by “Mike Stanton”

• ltzep75 - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Get Congress involved you say?

I LOVE dog and pony shows! Will it be on the TV?

• barriocolo - Nov 23, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Taking away is where government does really good. There is no need for government to fix anything. Take away the exemptions from baseball, TAKE AWAY THE EXEMPTIONS FROM BASEBALL. Let the system fall on its face. I am against (and have always been) any city, anywhere, building or helping build stadiums for any sport team. That is non-sense. Sports are just entertainment and should be treated as such. If the Marlins go away today ( I wish they did) Miami will continue to exist and succeed. Don’t let them make you believe otherwise. You don’t need the Marlins, trust me, the Marlins need you, the politicians that cut this deal need you!!! STOP SUPPORTING THE MARLINS, continuing to do so IS AN EXERCISE IN FUTILITY.

10. bizzmoneyb - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM

if I’m Stanton I play half assed until either they trade me or my arbitration is done. I would never, ever think of signing in Miami long term. he is exactly right.. this is a winning formula?!! play a bunch of minor leaguers? the reason they lost last year is because it was a flawed team. Hanley hadn’t produced in
    2 years, so they got nothing from 3rd. Reyes started real slow. Infante is an ok player at 2nd. Gaby at 1st was terrible. and besides Stanton the OF totally sucked. they act like they became the Yankees and spent big money at every position. give me a break. adding a fast SS, 2 SPs and a Closer was not taking this team to the playoffs. but bottom line is this owner and front office care about no one.. not the players, not the fans, nobody. they think they can just trade everyone away and people will still show. they will lose 100 games next year while keeping payroll at around $35 million so Loria makes lots of money this year. scumbags will never get another dime from me.

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM

If I’m Stanton, I play my ass off and come up with an arbitration number that terrifies Scrooge and the Chihuahua even from a purely theoretical perspective, the way some physicists were terrified that the first atomic explosion would ignite the entire atmosphere.

• bizzmoneyb - Nov 17, 2012 at 9:15 PM

he can ask for anything he wants, the arbitrator decides what he gets. and if he gets too much, they will trade him. there is absolutely no more hope for this organization.

• tomtravis76 - Nov 17, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Keep playing your game, but just don’ shut up about your feelings on the direction of the team and ownership. If Stanton keeps talking sh!t about Loria and Samson their egos won’t keep him around.

The Marlins are no longer a FA destination, these players thought the would be basically finishing up their careers in Miami, now they are playing in Canada. Loria and Samson are not good for professional baseball.

11. cowboyscanada - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Go Jays!!

12. tile84 - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:59 PM

these trades dont bother me nearly as much as the miggie trade, it really bothers me that i see all the former marlins kicking ass out there, sucks big time.

• dawgpoundmember - Nov 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM

As a tiger fan, look at the big picture, we also got dontrelle Willis. I watched Miggy hit 3 home runs in a game and can you guess who took the loss?

13. giantssb42champs - Nov 17, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Marlins fans should boycott games next year. Oh yeah, they already did that in 2012.

14. willclarkgameface - Nov 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I feel bad for Giancarlo. He seems to be made of the right stuff for any franchise to really appreciate him – he’s good on TV (Intentional Talk), has the right attitude about team and community, wants to win, hits well, plays outfield well. And then he gets stuck in the armpit of the baseball universe down in Miami.

And there’s nothing he can do about it. He’s stuck. He just needs to get the team where it hurts and work within the framework of the system by winning those arbitration cases handily.

Dude is up for league minimum in 2013. It’s insane, but that alone just guarantees he stays regardless of how much bitching he does. I’d like to see the bitching continue, but it may hinder his open market value. But there again, all the other GMs in the league understand what a shit stain Miami baseball is so he may be okay.

15. dirtydrew - Nov 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Stanton would look good in the Orange and Black here with the World Champions by the bay. We have plenty of minor leaguers for the Marlins.

16. SOBEIT - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Stanton should team up with Twitterboy and just start blasting the GM and ownership, while still playing all star caliber baseball. But he seems like he has too much character and this is probably as loud as he will get. All I know is that the kid has intimidating skills when he comes to the plate. I agree. dirtydrew…we need to make a play for this kid. That would solidify our OF for years!

Sandoval, Stanton, Posey, Pence….with an improving Belt, Crawford…that’s a wicked lineup. And if we can still sign Pagan and Scutaro for the top of the order…wow!

17. 2difshoe - Nov 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Easy Giancarlo…… you should try being a Cub fan !

18. jiminthebay - Nov 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM

miami , tampa and arizona all need to be contracted out of existence.

• super1908 - Nov 17, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Miami and Arizona for sure. Tampa is able to produce with less like Oakland. You have to include Oakland as well, or else take Tampa off the table….Just a thought…Go Rays..!

19. irishphilly87 - Nov 18, 2012 at 5:58 AM

Reuben do your job and make sure you make this guy a Phillie. He’d hit 50+ homers a year in Citizens Bank! Make it happen!

Orioles turn AL East on its head