Nov 16, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton took to his Twitter account Tuesday to express his frustration after learning that Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Emilio Bonifacio and John Buck were set to be traded to the Blue Jays. A couple of days have passed and reality has set in, but Stanton is still steamed.
Peter Gammons of MLB.com caught up with Stanton last night, who didn’t pull any punches in his criticism of the deal and the Marlins’ overall philosophy.
“I do not like this at all,” Stanton said. “This is the ‘winning philosophy?’ Then to say it’s not about money? What is the motivation? There comes a breaking point. I know how I feel. I can’t imagine how the city and the fans feel.”
“Jose, Bonifacio, Hanley … all three are gone now. I had people warn me that something like this could happen, but it runs against the competitive nature every athlete has, that nature that everything is about winning. This kind of thing is what gets talked about all the time around this team. Former Marlins come back and they warn us. It gets talked about during the stretch, in the clubhouse, after games, on the road. Again, I do not like this at all.”
There’s plenty more where that came from, but you get the point. Emotions are still running high, so we’ll likely get a better read on this in the coming months, but the odds of engaging Stanton in long-term contract talks don’t sound all that promising. His future with the team isn’t really an issue right now since he’s making the major league minimum again in 2013, but it could become one when he’s arbitration-eligible for the first time next offseason.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 10
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 37
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)