Nov 16, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton took to his Twitter account Tuesday to express his frustration after learning that Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Emilio Bonifacio and John Buck were set to be traded to the Blue Jays. A couple of days have passed and reality has set in, but Stanton is still steamed.
Peter Gammons of MLB.com caught up with Stanton last night, who didn’t pull any punches in his criticism of the deal and the Marlins’ overall philosophy.
“I do not like this at all,” Stanton said. “This is the ‘winning philosophy?’ Then to say it’s not about money? What is the motivation? There comes a breaking point. I know how I feel. I can’t imagine how the city and the fans feel.”
“Jose, Bonifacio, Hanley … all three are gone now. I had people warn me that something like this could happen, but it runs against the competitive nature every athlete has, that nature that everything is about winning. This kind of thing is what gets talked about all the time around this team. Former Marlins come back and they warn us. It gets talked about during the stretch, in the clubhouse, after games, on the road. Again, I do not like this at all.”
There’s plenty more where that came from, but you get the point. Emotions are still running high, so we’ll likely get a better read on this in the coming months, but the odds of engaging Stanton in long-term contract talks don’t sound all that promising. His future with the team isn’t really an issue right now since he’s making the major league minimum again in 2013, but it could become one when he’s arbitration-eligible for the first time next offseason.
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game, as they’re announced… 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)