Nov 16, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton took to his Twitter account Tuesday to express his frustration after learning that Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Emilio Bonifacio and John Buck were set to be traded to the Blue Jays. A couple of days have passed and reality has set in, but Stanton is still steamed.
Peter Gammons of MLB.com caught up with Stanton last night, who didn’t pull any punches in his criticism of the deal and the Marlins’ overall philosophy.
“I do not like this at all,” Stanton said. “This is the ‘winning philosophy?’ Then to say it’s not about money? What is the motivation? There comes a breaking point. I know how I feel. I can’t imagine how the city and the fans feel.”
“Jose, Bonifacio, Hanley … all three are gone now. I had people warn me that something like this could happen, but it runs against the competitive nature every athlete has, that nature that everything is about winning. This kind of thing is what gets talked about all the time around this team. Former Marlins come back and they warn us. It gets talked about during the stretch, in the clubhouse, after games, on the road. Again, I do not like this at all.”
There’s plenty more where that came from, but you get the point. Emotions are still running high, so we’ll likely get a better read on this in the coming months, but the odds of engaging Stanton in long-term contract talks don’t sound all that promising. His future with the team isn’t really an issue right now since he’s making the major league minimum again in 2013, but it could become one when he’s arbitration-eligible for the first time next offseason.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 22
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (103)