Giants “focused” on Angel Pagan, didn’t make offer to Melky Cabrera

Nov 16, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT

Angel Pagan Getty Getty Images

Melky Cabrera is reportedly leaving the Giants to sign a two-year, $16 million deal with the Blue Jays and not surprisingly Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com writes that San Francisco didn’t make an offer to re-sign him.

According to Baggarly the Giants viewed Cabrera as merely “a fallback option” and never actually engaged in contract talks after declining to add him to the postseason roster once he became eligible to return from his 50-game suspension.

Instead the Giants are focused on re-signing fellow free agent outfielder Angel Pagan, with Baggarly reporting that Pagan is looking for a three-year deal after bouncing back from a poor 2011 season with the Mets to hit .288 with a .778 OPS and 29 steals.

1. blabidibla - Nov 16, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Please, Melky “left the Giants” months ago. Good riddance.

• dcfan4life - Nov 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Its not like their World Series championship showed they desperately needed him back or anything…

2. barroomhero80 - Nov 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Pagan is a douche

3. yankeepunk3000 - Nov 16, 2012 at 7:07 PM

why is he a douche? I want the Gigantes to make a run for Swish…he would do well with then very good plate discipline might balance Pablos agrresive swing…in that park though I see him hitting 20 bombs…15 to 20 which is ok…get it done sabean

4. mojosmagic - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Where are the Blue Jays getting all this money from?

• cur68 - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Try using google some time

5. canadabaseball - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM

The jays have one of if not the richest owners in the whole league.

6. indianbob - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I hope the Giants keep them same team ( minus Huff) for once and see if they can repeat!

7. kappy32 - Nov 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Anyone who gives Pagan a contract longer than 1 year is making a serious mistake. Pagan & his 2012 season are the definition of a player who gave it his all during his contract year so as to cash in as a free agent. I am a diehard Mets fan & I watched this guy, day in day out, for 3 years. Pagan takes games off & he NEVER plays through minor injuries. I saw him make some of the dumbest decisions & plays I have ever seen in my 20-plus years of watching baseball. There was a game in the 2011 season where Pagan asked out of the lineup because he had diarrhea. I am convinced that was the game where Sandy Alderson decided to get rid of Pagan. Terry Collins should have given him some Imodium AD, or a few Depends adult diapers, and told him to man-up and get out there. If he is given a 3 year deal, you can guarantee he will have 2 years of diarrhea & then wake up during the third year to play well during his contract year, again.

• mgflolox - Nov 17, 2012 at 3:41 AM

I don’t know about that. All I know is, this year he was as intense, focused and driven as any player I’ve seen in a long time. He was a helluva lot of fun to watch out there, and I would love to see him back with the Giants.

• SOBEIT - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Have you seen the way he runs the bases…especially on a triple. Diarrhea could be a major issue. I would ask out as well.

On the “taking games off” comment. I heard some rumors/complaints about his poor defensive decisions/route to ball type stuff and bone headed plays as well when we traded for him. But I have to agree with mgflolox…all I saw was an intense guy who hustled all the time and gave it his all every game. With each passing game, he earned many Giants fans respect. Maybe all it took was being on a club that has a chance to win every day and has post season potential…or maybe the clubhouse and teammates motivated him. I don’t know as I have only seen a handful of his games as a Met. But there is risk with giving anyone a multi-year contract…it’s just part of the game. As a Giants fan, we have seen many multi-year contracts not pan out. But he’s in his prime and seems very healthy. I prefer taking a chance on a known rather than an unknown at this point.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4037)