Nov 16, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Melky Cabrera is reportedly leaving the Giants to sign a two-year, $16 million deal with the Blue Jays and not surprisingly Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com writes that San Francisco didn’t make an offer to re-sign him.
According to Baggarly the Giants viewed Cabrera as merely “a fallback option” and never actually engaged in contract talks after declining to add him to the postseason roster once he became eligible to return from his 50-game suspension.
Instead the Giants are focused on re-signing fellow free agent outfielder Angel Pagan, with Baggarly reporting that Pagan is looking for a three-year deal after bouncing back from a poor 2011 season with the Mets to hit .288 with a .778 OPS and 29 steals.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 14
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 80
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 20
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)