Nov 16, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Melky Cabrera is reportedly leaving the Giants to sign a two-year, $16 million deal with the Blue Jays and not surprisingly Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com writes that San Francisco didn’t make an offer to re-sign him.
According to Baggarly the Giants viewed Cabrera as merely “a fallback option” and never actually engaged in contract talks after declining to add him to the postseason roster once he became eligible to return from his 50-game suspension.
Instead the Giants are focused on re-signing fellow free agent outfielder Angel Pagan, with Baggarly reporting that Pagan is looking for a three-year deal after bouncing back from a poor 2011 season with the Mets to hit .288 with a .778 OPS and 29 steals.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)