Nov 16, 2012, 5:17 PM EST
Melky Cabrera is reportedly leaving the Giants to sign a two-year, $16 million deal with the Blue Jays and not surprisingly Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com writes that San Francisco didn’t make an offer to re-sign him.
According to Baggarly the Giants viewed Cabrera as merely “a fallback option” and never actually engaged in contract talks after declining to add him to the postseason roster once he became eligible to return from his 50-game suspension.
Instead the Giants are focused on re-signing fellow free agent outfielder Angel Pagan, with Baggarly reporting that Pagan is looking for a three-year deal after bouncing back from a poor 2011 season with the Mets to hit .288 with a .778 OPS and 29 steals.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)