Nov 16, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Melky Cabrera is reportedly leaving the Giants to sign a two-year, $16 million deal with the Blue Jays and not surprisingly Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com writes that San Francisco didn’t make an offer to re-sign him.
According to Baggarly the Giants viewed Cabrera as merely “a fallback option” and never actually engaged in contract talks after declining to add him to the postseason roster once he became eligible to return from his 50-game suspension.
Instead the Giants are focused on re-signing fellow free agent outfielder Angel Pagan, with Baggarly reporting that Pagan is looking for a three-year deal after bouncing back from a poor 2011 season with the Mets to hit .288 with a .778 OPS and 29 steals.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (126)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)