Nov 16, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Melky Cabrera is reportedly leaving the Giants to sign a two-year, $16 million deal with the Blue Jays and not surprisingly Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com writes that San Francisco didn’t make an offer to re-sign him.
According to Baggarly the Giants viewed Cabrera as merely “a fallback option” and never actually engaged in contract talks after declining to add him to the postseason roster once he became eligible to return from his 50-game suspension.
Instead the Giants are focused on re-signing fellow free agent outfielder Angel Pagan, with Baggarly reporting that Pagan is looking for a three-year deal after bouncing back from a poor 2011 season with the Mets to hit .288 with a .778 OPS and 29 steals.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)