Nov 16, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
Here’s some more fallout from the Marlins’ pending 12-player blockbuster trade with the Blue Jays. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle are upset that the team broke verbal promises to them regarding trades.
The Marlins do not award no-trade clauses, but club officials, while recruiting Reyes and Buerhle as free agents last offseason, assured both players that they would not be moved, sources said.
Buehrle knew the Marlins’ history of dumping high-priced players, and it concerned him, according to a friend. Team president David Samson, however, told both Buehrle and his wife, Jamie, that the team was committed to a long-term vision, sources said.
A source close to Reyes, asked if the shortstop also received verbal assurances from the Marlins that he would not be traded, responded, “The answer is yes. A vehement yes.”
There are plenty of reasons to criticize Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, many of which have been detailed on this blog this week, but it’s tough to have much sympathy for Reyes and Buehrle in this instance. They each had the opportunity to get formal no-trade clauses included in their contracts last offseason, but they sacrificed it because the Marlins offered the most money. Taking the Marlins at their word? The representatives of Reyes and Buehrle have to know better than that.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 2
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 4
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 48
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)