Nov 16, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
Here’s some more fallout from the Marlins’ pending 12-player blockbuster trade with the Blue Jays. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle are upset that the team broke verbal promises to them regarding trades.
The Marlins do not award no-trade clauses, but club officials, while recruiting Reyes and Buerhle as free agents last offseason, assured both players that they would not be moved, sources said.
Buehrle knew the Marlins’ history of dumping high-priced players, and it concerned him, according to a friend. Team president David Samson, however, told both Buehrle and his wife, Jamie, that the team was committed to a long-term vision, sources said.
A source close to Reyes, asked if the shortstop also received verbal assurances from the Marlins that he would not be traded, responded, “The answer is yes. A vehement yes.”
There are plenty of reasons to criticize Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, many of which have been detailed on this blog this week, but it’s tough to have much sympathy for Reyes and Buehrle in this instance. They each had the opportunity to get formal no-trade clauses included in their contracts last offseason, but they sacrificed it because the Marlins offered the most money. Taking the Marlins at their word? The representatives of Reyes and Buehrle have to know better than that.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)