Nov 16, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
Here’s some more fallout from the Marlins’ pending 12-player blockbuster trade with the Blue Jays. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle are upset that the team broke verbal promises to them regarding trades.
The Marlins do not award no-trade clauses, but club officials, while recruiting Reyes and Buerhle as free agents last offseason, assured both players that they would not be moved, sources said.
Buehrle knew the Marlins’ history of dumping high-priced players, and it concerned him, according to a friend. Team president David Samson, however, told both Buehrle and his wife, Jamie, that the team was committed to a long-term vision, sources said.
A source close to Reyes, asked if the shortstop also received verbal assurances from the Marlins that he would not be traded, responded, “The answer is yes. A vehement yes.”
There are plenty of reasons to criticize Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, many of which have been detailed on this blog this week, but it’s tough to have much sympathy for Reyes and Buehrle in this instance. They each had the opportunity to get formal no-trade clauses included in their contracts last offseason, but they sacrificed it because the Marlins offered the most money. Taking the Marlins at their word? The representatives of Reyes and Buehrle have to know better than that.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 50
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 27
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)