Nov 16, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
Here’s some more fallout from the Marlins’ pending 12-player blockbuster trade with the Blue Jays. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle are upset that the team broke verbal promises to them regarding trades.
The Marlins do not award no-trade clauses, but club officials, while recruiting Reyes and Buerhle as free agents last offseason, assured both players that they would not be moved, sources said.
Buehrle knew the Marlins’ history of dumping high-priced players, and it concerned him, according to a friend. Team president David Samson, however, told both Buehrle and his wife, Jamie, that the team was committed to a long-term vision, sources said.
A source close to Reyes, asked if the shortstop also received verbal assurances from the Marlins that he would not be traded, responded, “The answer is yes. A vehement yes.”
There are plenty of reasons to criticize Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, many of which have been detailed on this blog this week, but it’s tough to have much sympathy for Reyes and Buehrle in this instance. They each had the opportunity to get formal no-trade clauses included in their contracts last offseason, but they sacrificed it because the Marlins offered the most money. Taking the Marlins at their word? The representatives of Reyes and Buehrle have to know better than that.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 12
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)