Nov 16, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
Here’s some more fallout from the Marlins’ pending 12-player blockbuster trade with the Blue Jays. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle are upset that the team broke verbal promises to them regarding trades.
The Marlins do not award no-trade clauses, but club officials, while recruiting Reyes and Buerhle as free agents last offseason, assured both players that they would not be moved, sources said.
Buehrle knew the Marlins’ history of dumping high-priced players, and it concerned him, according to a friend. Team president David Samson, however, told both Buehrle and his wife, Jamie, that the team was committed to a long-term vision, sources said.
A source close to Reyes, asked if the shortstop also received verbal assurances from the Marlins that he would not be traded, responded, “The answer is yes. A vehement yes.”
There are plenty of reasons to criticize Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, many of which have been detailed on this blog this week, but it’s tough to have much sympathy for Reyes and Buehrle in this instance. They each had the opportunity to get formal no-trade clauses included in their contracts last offseason, but they sacrificed it because the Marlins offered the most money. Taking the Marlins at their word? The representatives of Reyes and Buehrle have to know better than that.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)