Nov 16, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
As we’ve noted over the years, there is a long and rich history of sports figures selling their numbers to bigger stars for a price. A watch. A grill. A vacation. A college fund. Things like that. Porcello, however, wasn’t thinking of himself when he handed his number over to Hunter:
Torii Hunter says Rick Porcello gave him number 48 in exchange for donation to Hurricane Sandy relief. Porcello lives in NJ.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) November 16, 2012
Very nice, gentlemen.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?