Nov 16, 2012, 4:31 PM EST
As we’ve noted over the years, there is a long and rich history of sports figures selling their numbers to bigger stars for a price. A watch. A grill. A vacation. A college fund. Things like that. Porcello, however, wasn’t thinking of himself when he handed his number over to Hunter:
Torii Hunter says Rick Porcello gave him number 48 in exchange for donation to Hurricane Sandy relief. Porcello lives in NJ.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) November 16, 2012
Very nice, gentlemen.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 14
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 63
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4