The Cardinals introduce a third jersey

Nov 16, 2012, 6:25 AM EST

As of yesterday, there were only four teams who stuck with two jerseys and two jerseys only: the Yankees, Dodgers, Tigers and Cardinals. Now it is three, as the Cardinals will introduce an alternate jersey later today:

source:

I like it.  It’ll be worn as a home alternate on Saturdays. It eschews the pajama top solid look and instead goes with that off-white color that the Braves, Phillies and Indians rock on their alternates.  It also, unlike every single Cardinals jersey since 1932, has the city name instead of the team name on it.

There will apparently be some minor changes to the normal jerseys as well, incorporating some of the greater detailing to the birds and the bat.

I’d want to see it on an actual person first, but based on this pic, I tend to think that it’s in the same league as the Braves and Indians alternates in that it should probably be their normal, everyday home uni.

1. hank10 - Nov 16, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Now if the players would only abandon the pajama bottom pants and go back to the traditional high cuffs and stirrups.

• okwhitefalcon - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I have a general dislike for all “alt” jerseys but if these generate enough income to contribute to getting a decent left handed reliever – so be it.

I’ll manage it privately without subjecting HBT readers to my eye rolling disdain.

• okwhitefalcon - Nov 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM

And here’s what they’ll be going for from Brian Stull of ESPN 101 in STL.

“New Cards jersey retailing for $339, replica is $99 and tshirts for $29.”

2. ugglasforearms - Nov 16, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Nice. Subtle, yet distinct improvements, if that is the right word. I love the off white color, piping, and scripted city name.

3. larrytsg - Nov 16, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Gee, did I accidentally go to UniWatch (http://www.uni-watch.com) instead of Hardballtalk?

BTW, I really like these. Hate the solid color “softball” tops. Even the Red Sox use them… yuk!

• crpls - Nov 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM

*Youk.

• anxovies - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Youkless.

4. pkswally024 - Nov 16, 2012 at 7:44 AM

That’s a sick jersey, makes me wish I was a cards fan to buy one.

5. 4d3fect - Nov 16, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Isn’t this closer to one of their older (oldest?) uni tops? with the two birds I mean?

• ugglasforearms - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM

If it was gray it would look a bit like the 1930 Cards’ road uni.

6. blues1988 - Nov 16, 2012 at 7:56 AM

LOVE IT

7. darthicarus - Nov 16, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Well done Cardinals, well done.

8. deadeyedesign23 - Nov 16, 2012 at 8:36 AM

As a Cub fan it kills me to see how dope these are.

9. Carl Hancock - Nov 16, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Such a classic look. Love it and can’t wait to buy one.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:10 AM

With you Carl. Old School. I am not much a big change sorta’ guy when it comes to uniforms.
      I have always loved the Cardinals two jerseys. But this jersey is sweet. With the off white…very retro.
      Diggin’ the St. Louis under the bat as well.
      This jersey will be in my closet very soon.

10. umrguy42 - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I love it, love it, love it. As a Cards fan, I gotta say, THAT’s the way to do an alternate jersey.

11. josemartez - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:17 AM

They should wear this full time. Same with the retros the Twins wore the other season. Those were the best looking uniforms in baseball that year.

12. jm91rs - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Isn’t it pretty rare to have the city name on a home jersey? I’m only aware of the Marlins and maybe Rangers that do that.

13. blues1988 - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM

the only thing i’m disappointed with is that we’re getting rid of the blue road caps. i love those things!

14. Andrew Chapman - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Ugh… piping…

• js20011041 - Nov 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM

This is good piping. Bad piping is any piping put on a football uniform in the last 12 to 15 years.

15. mrwings787 - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM

In a world of ridiculous alternative jerseys… It’s nice to see a great one once in a while

16. hushbrother - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Fantastic uni. Every team should rock the off white at home.

17. ajcardsfan - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Yes please

18. spudchukar - Nov 16, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Stay Classy.

19. forsch31 - Nov 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I often wondered why a city as baseball-crazy as St. Louis is didn’t have its name on the Cardinals’ road jersey. This is an awesome way to fix that.

Derrick Goold of the StL Post-Dispatch said it right in his lede: “By introducing an alternate jersey for the 2013 season….the Cardinals are breaking from tradition by revisiting it.” Best way to do it.

• okwhitefalcon - Nov 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Just to clarify, these will be worn for home Saturday games only – not going to be worn on the road.

• forsch31 - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Yeah I know. Poor writing on my part.

20. kicksave1980 - Nov 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Beautiful. Can’t wait to order my #4 Molina.

The only thing that I don’t like is that they’re getting rid of the “chain-stitching” on the jersey logos. It’s hard to describe, but the Cardinals and the Chicago Blackhawks are the only teams that I know of that use this type of stitching for their logos. It’s beautiful. If you’ve seen their authentics (not replica) jerseys in person, it’s easy to see what I’m talking about.

Also like the fact that they’re ditching the navy cap. I like it, but the red looks so much better with both unis. Now if they’d just get rid of that stupid sunday cap with the bird on the bat.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4418)