The Nationals have been in contact with B.J. Upton

Nov 16, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT

B.J. Upton AP AP

It’s officially a battle royal among NL East teams for the services of free agent outfielder B.J. Upton.

Upton met with both the Phillies and Braves this week, but Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the Nationals have also engaged in some “initial dialogue” and are expected to have “increased communication” in the near future.

The Nationals might not move quickly on Upton, as they are currently trying to get some resolution on Adam LaRoche. If LaRoche signs elsewhere, the Nationals would have a clear need in their outfield since they would likely move Michael Morse from left field to first base. Of course, they could sign LaRoche and Upton, giving them the option to flip Morse in a trade.

Upton always figured to do well in free agency, but having three NL East teams involved is an ideal scenario for his eventual payday. Michael Bourn has been connected to the same teams and also figures to benefit.

1. peopletrains - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Bourn > Upton

• dcfan4life - Nov 17, 2012 at 4:37 AM

This is silly, bot are overrated which is why both are unsigned. They both have agents asking for way more than their worth. The Nats wont flip Morse. This is an in case Laroche signs elsewhere move. And i can promise you Upton will not be signed until Washington knows what Laroche is going to do first.

• jl9830 - Nov 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I’d say they’re both unsigned because it’s November 18th.

• tylerianacone - Nov 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Pagan > Bourn/Upton

The big names aren’t worth the money, too many years for Bourn, too many everything for the enigmatic/strikeout prone Upton. Pagan gives you the best value and flexibility

2. dkphilly1122 - Nov 16, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Upton > Bourn…….Bourn will be done within a year or two tops and strikes out too much and Upton smacks more home runs on top of all the compare able stuff. The Phillies and Braves both already had Bourn, Washington can have him at this stage of his career, plus he is a Boras client. There is no comparison between the two……one is what 28 the other is 33??

3. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Nov 16, 2012 at 11:52 PM

He’s going to meet with the Mets on Monday. Jeff Loria should be offering him $320 million next Friday. Then I’ll give him a call next weekend and figure out which one he’s picked.

• henryd3rd - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM

BJ should give 10% of his salary to Joe Maddon. He pushed all the right buttons with BJ and got the most out of him during his stay in Tampa. He should call Carl Crawford and ask his advice. The big money may not always be the best place to land.

4. 18thstreet - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I was a big Michael Morse fan going into last season, but I was a lot less impressed by him in 2012. Maybe it can all be blamed on the injuries, but he didn’t seem all that great. I don’t think the Nats would miss him all that much.

5. jlb1700 - Nov 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I believe that BJ Upton is a good ball player however one needs to remember that there were attitude problems with BJ in Tampa .N addition if you look at his numbers what’s so impressive .What see is a ballplayer who has good potential but hasn’t lived up to it yet .Therefore if you look at this realistically what are you getting and at what cost .I know he is going to go some place and make a lot of money .I feel he is going to be bs player who someone overlays for and I believe his potential is just that In my view he isn’t a Superbstar sure he has the potential but that’s wherevit starts and end That being said I wouldn’t touch this player in my viewit would be a terrible signing .However know that I am in the minority

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS