Nov 16, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT
It’s officially a battle royal among NL East teams for the services of free agent outfielder B.J. Upton.
Upton met with both the Phillies and Braves this week, but Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the Nationals have also engaged in some “initial dialogue” and are expected to have “increased communication” in the near future.
The Nationals might not move quickly on Upton, as they are currently trying to get some resolution on Adam LaRoche. If LaRoche signs elsewhere, the Nationals would have a clear need in their outfield since they would likely move Michael Morse from left field to first base. Of course, they could sign LaRoche and Upton, giving them the option to flip Morse in a trade.
Upton always figured to do well in free agency, but having three NL East teams involved is an ideal scenario for his eventual payday. Michael Bourn has been connected to the same teams and also figures to benefit.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (81)