Nov 16, 2012, 10:03 PM EST
It’s officially a battle royal among NL East teams for the services of free agent outfielder B.J. Upton.
Upton met with both the Phillies and Braves this week, but Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the Nationals have also engaged in some “initial dialogue” and are expected to have “increased communication” in the near future.
The Nationals might not move quickly on Upton, as they are currently trying to get some resolution on Adam LaRoche. If LaRoche signs elsewhere, the Nationals would have a clear need in their outfield since they would likely move Michael Morse from left field to first base. Of course, they could sign LaRoche and Upton, giving them the option to flip Morse in a trade.
Upton always figured to do well in free agency, but having three NL East teams involved is an ideal scenario for his eventual payday. Michael Bourn has been connected to the same teams and also figures to benefit.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)