Nov 16, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT
It’s officially a battle royal among NL East teams for the services of free agent outfielder B.J. Upton.
Upton met with both the Phillies and Braves this week, but Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the Nationals have also engaged in some “initial dialogue” and are expected to have “increased communication” in the near future.
The Nationals might not move quickly on Upton, as they are currently trying to get some resolution on Adam LaRoche. If LaRoche signs elsewhere, the Nationals would have a clear need in their outfield since they would likely move Michael Morse from left field to first base. Of course, they could sign LaRoche and Upton, giving them the option to flip Morse in a trade.
Upton always figured to do well in free agency, but having three NL East teams involved is an ideal scenario for his eventual payday. Michael Bourn has been connected to the same teams and also figures to benefit.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)