Nov 16, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
The chatter out there about the Red Sox being interested in Josh Hamilton makes no sense to me. After all, what explains the big trade with the Dodgers over the summer other than massive dissatisfaction with the results of signing guys to $100M+ contracts? I’ve been chalking it up to bored media and whatever it is in the air that has caused virtually every free agent and trade candidate to be linked to the Sox in some way.
Rob Bradford reports that, yeah, it’s probably something like that, because the Red Sox are really not all that into Hamilton:
According to a baseball source, reports of the Red Sox’ interest in free agent outfielder Josh Hamilton have been “overblown.”
While the Red Sox are in the market for a pair of outfielders this offseason, Hamilton — considered by most as the premier free agent on the market — doesn’t appear to be near the top of the team’s list of players it hopes to target. While the Sox have talked to the 31-year-old’s agent, Michael Moye, the communication was the same kind of due diligence done for a multitude of free agents.
Tires: kicked. Cut of jib: inspected. That’s about it.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)