There’s going to be a Yankees play

Nov 16, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT

Yankees logo

While we’re talking about baseball and drama, here’s another one:

The New York Yankees will really provide some theater. The producers of “Lombardi” and “Magic/Bird” said Thursday they will collaborate on a show with the team and Major League Baseball. The project, to be produced by Fran Kirmser and Tony Ponturo, is not yet titled. An author was not announced.

I’m not sure where you can find dramatic tension in a franchise that has been on top for nearly 100 years and continues to have systemic advantages its competitors lack, but I’m sure they’ll figure out something.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM

How about “Damn Yankees, The Sequel”?

2. deadeyedesign23 - Nov 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM

People find drama in ancient Rome all the time and they were on top for nearly a millenium. If we’re going back through Yankee history I can think of a bunch of high tension times.

Ruth and his hard partying, leaving his wife and having ehr die in a fire.
    Dimaggio and Williams
    Dimaggio and Mantle
    Mantle and shit…everything about him.
    The Bronx Zoo….everything from Steinbrenner to Jackson to Munson dying.

(Side note: not a Yankee fan)

3. willclarkgameface - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Wow. This is going to suck.

I just wish they’d focus on the years in the 80s where most of the team was addicted to coke and allowed to be complacent losers.

• badintent - Nov 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Suck ? Like “Magic and Bird” ?? Pal., the entire MLB was addicted to coke then. Or roids. Or both. Even in the 80s’ the Yankees had the best hitting lineup in the AL, Mattingly, Henderson,etc. Who was your team ? The Expos ?
      NY Banks own your house, your car, your dog, etc. NY rules.
      Next time you’re in NYC, drop $260 on a ticket, you get all you can eat shrimp, lobster and steak plus booze in the restaurant.And at your seat too during the game.
      Oh, my bad, they don’t take your food stamps.

• jlovenotjlo - Nov 16, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Really? What do the Yankees and baseball have to do with your overpriced, crime-ridden rathole?

Enjoy the cancer and overall shorter life expectancy that results from your ridiculously horrible air quality, ya douche.

• protius - Nov 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM

jnotlo:

Apparently, you’re not the brightest bulb on the tree.

You asked: “What do the Yankees and baseball have to do with your overpriced, crime-ridden rathole?” By “rathole”, I assume you’re talking about New York City. Ah,…..dumbass, the Yankees play baseball in New York City; they are The New York Yankees.

Now, if you weren’t too busy banging your sister in the pigsty that passes for your home, and if you had a modicum of intelligence, you might have chosen to compose a mockery of the Yankees that didn’t expose the depth of your stupidity. Clearly, you’re just jealous, because there will never be a play about the infected pustule you come from.

Here’s some advice asswipe: Stick to kicking shit and marking territory; thinking and writing at the same time exceed your intellectual facility.

4. historiophiliac - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Or, go another way and make “Hater Nation.”

5. hansob - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:07 PM

A-Rod (sung to the tune “Some Nights” by Fun.):

Some nights I swing at sliders in the dirt
    Some nights I don’t swing at all
    Some nights I wish that my name was in the lineup
    Some nights I just hit on girls

But I still wake up… I still cash my checks
    Oh Lord I’m still not sure what I’m doing.
    What do I swing at? What do I swing at?
    Most nights… I don’t know… anymore.

6. philsieg - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:07 PM

It’ll be an updated version of Man of La Mancha tentatively titled “Man of Intangibles”. Instead of having Derek Jeter joust at windmills, they’ll substitute Gold Gloves.

7. stex52 - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Great. When my wife and I are in NY it’s always tough to choose what we go see. That eliminates one choice for sure.

• protius - Nov 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Is there supposed to be something cute, funny or relevant about your comments?

8. stex52 - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I’m equally as excited about the Josh Hamilton movie. Nice to know we can easily eliminate some choices.

9. Old Gator - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM

You want a play about the Borg? Here was the ultimate one: Ben Gazzara as Yogi Berra in Nobody Don’t Like Yogi. I saw it once, was transported, went back and saw it again. I hope someone taped one of the performances – some day, it should be available to everyone. Amazing couple of evenings.

10. randygnyc - Nov 16, 2012 at 1:00 PM

“The last, great, dynasty”

It should be about the most recent dynasty in all of sports covering the mid 90’s through the turn of the millennium.

• Gamera the Brave - Nov 16, 2012 at 1:28 PM

randy,
      I like the way you punctuated the first sentence, the extra comma forces you to read the sentence in the style of William Shatner. Very funny – ‘specially if there is a long pause before you say “dynasty.”

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3928)