Nov 17, 2012, 7:02 PM EST
Crisis averted down in the Arizona Fall League.
Reds top prospect Billy Hamilton sat on the ground in pain for several minutes after jumping back-first into the center field wall while chasing a triple in Saturday afternoon’s Arizona Fall League championship game. But he was able to walk off the field — with assistance — and the MLB Network broadcast later called his injury lower back spasms.
Hamilton was even spotted celebrating on the field with his teammates when the Peoria Javelinas wrapped up a 4-3 victory over the Salt River Rafters. He finished 2-for-5 with a run scored.
The 22-year-old speedster batted .311/.410/.420 with 14 triples, 112 runs scored and a record 155 stolen bases in 132 games this past season between High-A Bakersfield and Double-A Pensacola.
He should arrive in Cincinnati at some point in 2013.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)