Nov 17, 2012, 11:40 AM EST
UPDATE: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Jim Riggleman hasn’t been contacted by the Blue Jays. And that’s straight from Riggleman’s agent, Burton Rocks. However, he would have interest in the job.
10:51 AM: The Blue Jays have been busy with high-profile player acquisitions this week, but they still don’t have a manager. According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, that could change very soon.
The Jays are close to announcing their next manager. Two of the final names they discussed were Jim Tracy and Jim Riggleman.—
Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 17, 2012
Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos has tried to keep his search under wraps, but he reportedly wants a manager with previous experience. While Tracy and Riggleman are pretty underwhelming choices, this report by Olney indicates that Anthopoulos is leaning in that direction.
Tracy has an 856-880 record over 11 seasons as a manager in the majors between the Dodgers, Pirates and Rockies. He resigned as Colorado’s skipper in October. Riggleman has a 622-824 record over 12 seasons as a manager in the majors, making stops with the Padres, Cubs, Mariners and Nationals. He infamously quit the Nationals last June after the club declined to give him a multi-year contract. He managed the Reds’ Double-A affiliate this season.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 150
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (150)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)