Nov 17, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT
UPDATE: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Jim Riggleman hasn’t been contacted by the Blue Jays. And that’s straight from Riggleman’s agent, Burton Rocks. However, he would have interest in the job.
10:51 AM: The Blue Jays have been busy with high-profile player acquisitions this week, but they still don’t have a manager. According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, that could change very soon.
The Jays are close to announcing their next manager. Two of the final names they discussed were Jim Tracy and Jim Riggleman.—
Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 17, 2012
Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos has tried to keep his search under wraps, but he reportedly wants a manager with previous experience. While Tracy and Riggleman are pretty underwhelming choices, this report by Olney indicates that Anthopoulos is leaning in that direction.
Tracy has an 856-880 record over 11 seasons as a manager in the majors between the Dodgers, Pirates and Rockies. He resigned as Colorado’s skipper in October. Riggleman has a 622-824 record over 12 seasons as a manager in the majors, making stops with the Padres, Cubs, Mariners and Nationals. He infamously quit the Nationals last June after the club declined to give him a multi-year contract. He managed the Reds’ Double-A affiliate this season.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)