Nov 17, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT
UPDATE: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Jim Riggleman hasn’t been contacted by the Blue Jays. And that’s straight from Riggleman’s agent, Burton Rocks. However, he would have interest in the job.
10:51 AM: The Blue Jays have been busy with high-profile player acquisitions this week, but they still don’t have a manager. According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, that could change very soon.
The Jays are close to announcing their next manager. Two of the final names they discussed were Jim Tracy and Jim Riggleman.—
Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 17, 2012
Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos has tried to keep his search under wraps, but he reportedly wants a manager with previous experience. While Tracy and Riggleman are pretty underwhelming choices, this report by Olney indicates that Anthopoulos is leaning in that direction.
Tracy has an 856-880 record over 11 seasons as a manager in the majors between the Dodgers, Pirates and Rockies. He resigned as Colorado’s skipper in October. Riggleman has a 622-824 record over 12 seasons as a manager in the majors, making stops with the Padres, Cubs, Mariners and Nationals. He infamously quit the Nationals last June after the club declined to give him a multi-year contract. He managed the Reds’ Double-A affiliate this season.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)