The Blue Jays are close to naming their new manager

Nov 17, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT

UPDATE: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Jim Riggleman hasn’t been contacted by the Blue Jays. And that’s straight from Riggleman’s agent, Burton Rocks. However, he would have interest in the job.

10:51 AM: The Blue Jays have been busy with high-profile player acquisitions this week, but they still don’t have a manager. According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, that could change very soon.

Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos has tried to keep his search under wraps, but he reportedly wants a manager with previous experience. While Tracy and Riggleman are pretty underwhelming choices, this report by Olney indicates that Anthopoulos is leaning in that direction.

Tracy has an 856-880 record over 11 seasons as a manager in the majors between the Dodgers, Pirates and Rockies. He resigned as Colorado’s skipper in October. Riggleman has a 622-824 record over 12 seasons as a manager in the majors, making stops with the Padres, Cubs, Mariners and Nationals. He infamously quit the Nationals last June after the club declined to give him a multi-year contract. He managed the Reds’ Double-A affiliate this season.

1. hushbrother - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM

As a Red Sox fan, I enthusiastically endorse Tracy.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

When contacted by the Toronto Star, AA splashed a bit of cold water on Olney’s story. He refused to comment directly, but did say “As I have said many times before, if you hear a rumour about us, it’s almost always not true. When reports are accurate is when things are done.” Since Toronto has not talked with Riggleman according to both Rosenthal, and Heyman, Olney’s story appears to fall under the “not true” category.

2. goskinsvt - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I’m pretty surprised Riggleman is in the hunt. I honestly never thought that he’d get another managerial gig after the way in which he left the Nationals mid-season.

• kiwicricket - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM

It would certainly make you wonder about the background situations involved in MLB managing. I don’t think he should get another chance ahead of others, both him and Tracy seem like re-treads at best.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Olney was wrong about Riggleman. Riggleman has not been contacted by the Jays. After their experience with Farrell, why would the Jays want to hire a manager who quit on his team mid way through a season?

• proudlycanadian - Nov 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM

There is no indication that the Jays have contacted Tracey either. Someone who responded to Rosenthal’s tweet also said that a friend of Tracey’s told him that Tracey had not been contacted. Elliott of the Toronto Sun has been phoning potential candidates and neither Tracey or Riggleman said that they had been contacted.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star just wrote that there are 54 men who have managed at least 1 year in the majors since 2000 who are not currently managing in the majors. If the Jays want an experienced manager, there is a large pool to draw from, so it would be no surprise, if Riggleman and Tracy are not interviewed.

I am waiting for Heyman to weigh in with his 2 cents worth. Wouldn’t be surprised if he claims that the Jays are considering Acta.

3. Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:29 AM

After everything the Feather Lice have done to improve this team, why in Buddha’s name would they go out and find a persistent loser for a manager? I mean, that’s like signing a washed-up former midlevel ballplayer so you could have some veteran presence in your clubhouse and a automatic out in your lineup.

• kiwicricket - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Constructing a fantastic sandwich with some lovely sourdough, thinly sliced smoked meats but top it off with some crappy cheap sour mayonnaise. Poor form.

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

It’s vichysoisse without pepper.

Your move.

• kiwicricket - Nov 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Boerewors without the braai.

• kiwicricket - Nov 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Hampi without the temples?

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Doro wat without the egg.

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Casu marzu without the maggots.

• cur68 - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM

er…um…Beaver stew without the tail? I dunno. Just trying to fit in….

• kiwicricket - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I’m too scared to even google half the things Gator mentions.

• cur68 - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Shit, me too. Beaver stew is for real, though. mmmmm…beaver…..

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Okay, I’ll lighten up – two halves of a fresh baked Meyer lemon marmalade poppy seed muffins without slabs of butter melting upon them in a puff of steam as the smell of percolating coffee fills the kitchen on a 73-degree F. weenter morning.

If that had a sense of immediacy about it, well, yeah, I did some baking last night.

• forsch31 - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM

….”After everything the Feather Lice have done to improve this team, why in Buddha’s name would they go out and find a persistent loser for a manager?”

Yankee fans said the same thing when the team hired Joe Torre in 1996.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

In reality, Olney does not have a clue about whom the Jays will hire. He was just picking names out of a hat. The actual candidates are a very closely held secret and AA is telling nobody.

4. natslady - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

even before that, Riggs was not impressive.

– did not manage strong personalities well (e.g., Marquis and Werth). required Rizzo to come settle down the clubhouse
    – endless small ball and double-switching
    – painful, truly painful press conferences, no sense of humor or apparent connection with most of the players.

5. kkolchak - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

More evidence that the 2013 Jays are determined to be a repeat of the 2012 Marlins.

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Not quite. Whatever else their manifold failings, the Feesh were all perfectly comfortable with pissing into a beaker.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Olney does not know whom the Jays have interviewed. His tweet was bogus.

6. natslady - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
    #BlueJays have not contacted Riggleman, according to his agent, Burton Rocks. Would be interested in job. Has always wanted to manage Reyes.

7. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Dear lord baby jesus, Jim Tracy? Are the Jays insane? It’s like spending all of your money on a brand new Bugatti Veyron, and then hiring the Rain Man as your driver…

• cur68 - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I wouldn’t worry about any reports right now. If its not Anthopolous actually saying it, it’s probably not accurate. In my opinion AA wants the managerial equivalent of The Stig at the wheel of this Veyron. . .and its the SuperSport model Veyron, too.

• natslady - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:13 PM

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm
      Best fit for next manager of the Toronto Blue Jays in my opinion is Jim Tracy…only after the no’s are received from LaRussa,Cox,Piniella

what–you don’t agree????? but–but—

• paperlions - Nov 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I love Bowden…it’s like everything he writes and every opinion he expresses is designed to ensure that he is never hired by another MLB team.

8. mazblast - Nov 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Good grief. If you’re going to hire someone with previous experience, at least hire someone with SUCCESSFUL previous experience. Tracy and Riggleman are nothing more than retreads, and bad ones at that.

There are reasons why these two (among many) have been fired multiple times, and it wasn’t just the talent levels on their teams.

9. mydadyourmom - Nov 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Neither of these old dawgs are in consideration.

10. jjpileggi - Nov 17, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Hard to believe all the retreading going on, but then again, Leyland and Johnson, two old timers, have had some real success in the past couple of years. But if we are retreading, why not Willie Randolph? He did have some success in New York before the blow up, and presumably has added some experience and wisdom since then. He would be worth another shot.

John Pileggi

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I’m a Willie fan. The Mutts, and that backstabbling piece of garbage Jerry Manuel, got exactly what they deserved for railroading one of their betters.

• henryd3rd - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Why are some many people outside of Toronto so concerned with whom they hire? Riggleman and Tracy? Why not throw Bobby Valentine’s name in the hat while we are at it? I’m sure he’d love to stick it to Boston and New York with that lineup!

By the way Old Gator. How many Marlins’ games did you attend last season? I attended one Marlins’ game in the last five years and the only reason why I was there was to see Ken Griffrey Jr. on is farewell tour. When Loria fired Manager of the Year Joe Girardi I knew it was time to avoid that team.Numerous managerial and player changes I refuse to step foot inside that stadium while Loria owns that team.

• kkolchak - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Not to mention the execrable Omar Minaya, whom the Mutts foolishly hired as GM after he gutted the Expos and left their carcass to be shipped off to DC.

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Henry: without going back through my American Express card bills from March onward, I would say off the top of my head that I went to close to twenty games, mostly during the first half of the season. After the Iron Giant was sent back to the shop for knee work and the leetle bang at the end of the trade deadline and the awful drift towards the cataracts, I went to far fewer – I think I went to maybe one game in September, and that was early. I just got a kick out of watching the Iron Giant light Tommy up and I was at the famous “scoreboard game” (I recall shooting Craig an email about it directly from Macondo Banana Massacre Field).

This coming season? I might spend most of it in London, England anyway – my wife is Breetish and her mum is ailing, she has to go over there every few months to take care of legal and estate matters and it would be a good time to go and keep them company. We would need to find someone to feed pigeons to our odd Hemingway hound, Fido, and make sure our adorable rattlesnake Friendo gets his biweekly mouse. And thanks to MLB TV, I can pick up enough games on the computer to stay in touch. But spend a dime on this disemboweled travesty of a baseball team? I don’t think so.

• chill1184 - Nov 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Only an old moron like you and that Yankee troll Randy would think Randolph was a good manager. He was complete retard who was in the right place at the right time. He looks good when you compare him to an even bigger idiot in Manuel.

• cur68 - Nov 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Wow. What an asshole.

I would just ignore “chill(etc)”, Gator. He’s a bile filled idiot, and not worth your time. If Willie Randolph winds up in charge of My Boys, then I’d be pretty please with that.

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Cur: yeah, I picked up on that. When you realize that you’re dealing with an idiot from the git-go, it’s hard to find a reason to respond. Anyway, I already have some idiots to play with on this blog. And I have five dogs. I love the dogs, and my current crop of idiots amuses me, but you do learn how to recognize a saturation point under such circumstances.

11. proudlycanadian - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I repeat! Onley’s musings are inaccurate. He knows nothing!

• proudlycanadian - Nov 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I see that sources thought to be close to Olney have been giving me thumbs downs.

12. paint771 - Nov 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Is there any NON-underwhelming managerial choice? Seriously, who could they possibly hire that wouldn’t get a collective “meh” or a collective “wtf”. Who’s the home run? There is none. It’s a manager. It’s not like there’s a free agent market of superstars.

I think people are overthinking and overguessing on this one. I would be surprised if it’s a surprise candidate (I mean, by definition, but you know what I mean). My hunch is they’re going to kick the tires on a bunch of possible candidates and directions because that’s what they do, but ultimately settle on the candidates that everybody thought were the top choices from the very beginning: Alomar, Wakamatsu, or Acta. And my guess is Acta.

• paint771 - Nov 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Or Alomar. I go back and forth.

• cur68 - Nov 17, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Alomar is my #2 choice. Acta I neither like nor dislike. Wakamatsu would be fine. My overwhelming choice is Dave Martinez of the Rays. He’s been interviewed by AA before, has managed in Maddon’s absence before, and has been learning from one of the all-time greats for a while now. He’s fluent in both English and Spanish, has played in the Beav and for the Expos, and he and AA go back to those Expo days. He couldn’t be more perfect for this gig.

• paint771 - Nov 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I guess I haven’t been thinking much of Martinez, cur. I do believe, incidentally, that Spanish fluency is going to be a make-or-break for any candidate.

I’ve been leaning Alomar all along as my favorite – but sure, I can get on the Martinez bandwagon.

13. joerymi - Nov 17, 2012 at 4:02 PM

For the immediate future, that Blue Jays gig seems far more appealing than that Red Sox gig.

14. soxfan1966 - Nov 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Bobby Valentine was seen riding his bike in the vicinity of Rogers Stadium this morning.

Just a thought …

• proudlycanadian - Nov 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM

So that is whom got run over by one of the streetcars on Queens Quay.

15. canadabaseball - Nov 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Jesus AA great job with the signing but Alomar I thought was the no brainer he would make jays fan remember winning

16. jaybird22seven - Nov 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

John Farrell wants his job back. What an idiot move. Have fun coaching your dream job in the basement of the American League. Hahahaaaa!!!

17. jlb1700 - Nov 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM

someone made the statement that this situation is similar to The marlins last year when they signed all the free agents and gave them lots of money I ageee that it appears to be similiar situation however The marlins Hired Gullen knowing very well his reputation in Chicagobefore they signed him .The marlins have had there problems no doubt and big part of it wasThere Ownership ETC However. the situation in Toronto is much different,.They have stability in ownership,however they need a Leader on the Field Making thesevdeals without a. Manger in place is a big mistake No one wants to talk about this but anybody who followed Baseball knows the Bluejays had major problemsin theta clubhousei 2012.The manger in 2012.did nothing to correct a bad situation in my viewer Athough in you won’t get anybody to admit he lost the team in the Clubhouse in 2012He couldnt handle the situation and all powers to be new then for and now too As we all know the Bluejays put Zeo resistance in the situation when the Red Sox came calling for John Farewell In regard to who is going to be the manger and all the questions and secrets going on behind the scenes my view is you better pick the manger because if you dont it could be worse situation than the one Marlins had withGullen and it’s hard to believethat could happen One additional Point in regard to the Trade that isn’t approved yet Athough Jose Reyes is excellent ball player he has a history of injuries and during his time in NYC he had some attitude problems.Josh Johnson has hadvsome history with Arm Troubleand web need to remember the competition in The American East isn’t the National East I rest my case don’t give the Bluejays the American leagueEast Yet I still know the game is won or lost on the field .Let’s wait and see what happens with the Manger and the Coaching Staff

• cur68 - Nov 18, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Um…Hail fellow Canuck. Um…Learn to spell, punctuate, and frame a thought. Er…stay in school. Peace.

18. vanchuk - Nov 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

@cur68
    “Shit, me too. Beaver stew is for real, though. mmmmm…beaver…..”

Beaver, yes. Not stewed tho. That’s just gross

• cur68 - Nov 18, 2012 at 3:05 AM

All kinds of beaver, my friend. You have yours raw and I’ll cook mine thoroughly. Bon Appétit!

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey