Nov 17, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
Jake Marisnick is being sent to the Marlins in that 12-player megtrade with the Blue Jays. But the deal hasn’t been finalized, which created a minor predicament for the outfield prospect before Saturday’s AFL championship game in Scottsdale, Arizona. MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo explains:
Jake Marisnick found out he was going to be able to play in Saturday’s Arizona Fall League championship game a couple of days ago. He just wasn’t sure what jersey he’d be playing in.
The outfielder, currently ranked No. 35 onMLB.com’s Top 100 Prospect list, is in organizational limbo currently, a part of the blockbuster Blue Jays-Marlins trade that awaits approval from the Commissioner’s Office. Batting ninth and playing center field for the Salt River Rafters in Saturday’s game, Marisnick wore his Blue Jays jersey, but he did have a contingency plan in case anything got finalized during the game.
“I have the [Marlins] jersey in the locker room, so we’ll see what happens,” Marisnick told Mayo before first pitch. “That’s the word right now. If it goes through, then I’ll switch jerseys. I’m definitely getting a lot of jokes about it, about what jersey I’m wearing. It’s been an interesting couple of days.”
The 21-year-old batted .249/.321/.399 with eight home runs, 29 doubles, 10 triples and 24 stolen bases in 553 plate appearances this past season between High-A Dunedin and Double-A New Hampshire.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 16
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 24
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 37
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL