Nov 17, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
Jake Marisnick is being sent to the Marlins in that 12-player megtrade with the Blue Jays. But the deal hasn’t been finalized, which created a minor predicament for the outfield prospect before Saturday’s AFL championship game in Scottsdale, Arizona. MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo explains:
Jake Marisnick found out he was going to be able to play in Saturday’s Arizona Fall League championship game a couple of days ago. He just wasn’t sure what jersey he’d be playing in.
The outfielder, currently ranked No. 35 onMLB.com’s Top 100 Prospect list, is in organizational limbo currently, a part of the blockbuster Blue Jays-Marlins trade that awaits approval from the Commissioner’s Office. Batting ninth and playing center field for the Salt River Rafters in Saturday’s game, Marisnick wore his Blue Jays jersey, but he did have a contingency plan in case anything got finalized during the game.
“I have the [Marlins] jersey in the locker room, so we’ll see what happens,” Marisnick told Mayo before first pitch. “That’s the word right now. If it goes through, then I’ll switch jerseys. I’m definitely getting a lot of jokes about it, about what jersey I’m wearing. It’s been an interesting couple of days.”
The 21-year-old batted .249/.321/.399 with eight home runs, 29 doubles, 10 triples and 24 stolen bases in 553 plate appearances this past season between High-A Dunedin and Double-A New Hampshire.
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 0
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 7
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 58
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 25
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (161)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)