Nov 17, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
Jake Marisnick is being sent to the Marlins in that 12-player megtrade with the Blue Jays. But the deal hasn’t been finalized, which created a minor predicament for the outfield prospect before Saturday’s AFL championship game in Scottsdale, Arizona. MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo explains:
Jake Marisnick found out he was going to be able to play in Saturday’s Arizona Fall League championship game a couple of days ago. He just wasn’t sure what jersey he’d be playing in.
The outfielder, currently ranked No. 35 onMLB.com’s Top 100 Prospect list, is in organizational limbo currently, a part of the blockbuster Blue Jays-Marlins trade that awaits approval from the Commissioner’s Office. Batting ninth and playing center field for the Salt River Rafters in Saturday’s game, Marisnick wore his Blue Jays jersey, but he did have a contingency plan in case anything got finalized during the game.
“I have the [Marlins] jersey in the locker room, so we’ll see what happens,” Marisnick told Mayo before first pitch. “That’s the word right now. If it goes through, then I’ll switch jerseys. I’m definitely getting a lot of jokes about it, about what jersey I’m wearing. It’s been an interesting couple of days.”
The 21-year-old batted .249/.321/.399 with eight home runs, 29 doubles, 10 triples and 24 stolen bases in 553 plate appearances this past season between High-A Dunedin and Double-A New Hampshire.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 0
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 28
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 105
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (106)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (80)