Nov 17, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
Jake Marisnick is being sent to the Marlins in that 12-player megtrade with the Blue Jays. But the deal hasn’t been finalized, which created a minor predicament for the outfield prospect before Saturday’s AFL championship game in Scottsdale, Arizona. MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo explains:
Jake Marisnick found out he was going to be able to play in Saturday’s Arizona Fall League championship game a couple of days ago. He just wasn’t sure what jersey he’d be playing in.
The outfielder, currently ranked No. 35 onMLB.com’s Top 100 Prospect list, is in organizational limbo currently, a part of the blockbuster Blue Jays-Marlins trade that awaits approval from the Commissioner’s Office. Batting ninth and playing center field for the Salt River Rafters in Saturday’s game, Marisnick wore his Blue Jays jersey, but he did have a contingency plan in case anything got finalized during the game.
“I have the [Marlins] jersey in the locker room, so we’ll see what happens,” Marisnick told Mayo before first pitch. “That’s the word right now. If it goes through, then I’ll switch jerseys. I’m definitely getting a lot of jokes about it, about what jersey I’m wearing. It’s been an interesting couple of days.”
The 21-year-old batted .249/.321/.399 with eight home runs, 29 doubles, 10 triples and 24 stolen bases in 553 plate appearances this past season between High-A Dunedin and Double-A New Hampshire.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)