Nov 17, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT
Terms of the agreement have not been disclosed.
Pierre, 35, batted .307/.351/.371 in 439 plate appearances this past season for the Phillies, successfully swiping 37 bases in 44 attempts.
The Marlins are expected to feature Logan Morrison much more regularly at first base in 2013, so there should be a good amount of playing time available for Pierre in that Miami outfield. Who says the Fish aren’t trying to build a contender? OK, don’t answer that.
UPDATE, 10:18 PM: Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that Pierre is getting a one-year contract from the Marlins worth $1.6 million and will vie for playing time in left field.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 2
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 17
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)