Nov 17, 2012, 10:03 PM EST
Terms of the agreement have not been disclosed.
Pierre, 35, batted .307/.351/.371 in 439 plate appearances this past season for the Phillies, successfully swiping 37 bases in 44 attempts.
The Marlins are expected to feature Logan Morrison much more regularly at first base in 2013, so there should be a good amount of playing time available for Pierre in that Miami outfield. Who says the Fish aren’t trying to build a contender? OK, don’t answer that.
UPDATE, 10:18 PM: Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that Pierre is getting a one-year contract from the Marlins worth $1.6 million and will vie for playing time in left field.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 7
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)