Nov 17, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT
Terms of the agreement have not been disclosed.
Pierre, 35, batted .307/.351/.371 in 439 plate appearances this past season for the Phillies, successfully swiping 37 bases in 44 attempts.
The Marlins are expected to feature Logan Morrison much more regularly at first base in 2013, so there should be a good amount of playing time available for Pierre in that Miami outfield. Who says the Fish aren’t trying to build a contender? OK, don’t answer that.
UPDATE, 10:18 PM: Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that Pierre is getting a one-year contract from the Marlins worth $1.6 million and will vie for playing time in left field.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 22
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)