Nov 17, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT
Terms of the agreement have not been disclosed.
Pierre, 35, batted .307/.351/.371 in 439 plate appearances this past season for the Phillies, successfully swiping 37 bases in 44 attempts.
The Marlins are expected to feature Logan Morrison much more regularly at first base in 2013, so there should be a good amount of playing time available for Pierre in that Miami outfield. Who says the Fish aren’t trying to build a contender? OK, don’t answer that.
UPDATE, 10:18 PM: Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that Pierre is getting a one-year contract from the Marlins worth $1.6 million and will vie for playing time in left field.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 80
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)