Nov 17, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
This year’s class of participants in the Arizona Fall League included some big names like Reds speedster Billy Hamilton and Mariners prospect catcher Mike Zunino, but a lesser-known prospect ended up taking home the league’s Joe Black MVP Award. According to Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com, Rangers first base prospect Chris McGuiness was presented with the award prior to this afternoon’s title game between the Salt River Rafters and Peoria Javelinas.
McGuiness batted .283/.370/.467 with four home runs, five doubles and an .838 OPS over 25 AFL games while leading the league with 27 RBI. The 24-year-old amassed six three-RBI games and seven multi-hit games. Rockies’ third base prospect Nolan Arenado took home MVP honors last year while previous winners include current major leaguers Dustin Ackley, Tommy Hanson and Sam Fuld.
McGuiness, a 13th round pick in 2009, was acquired from the Red Sox in July of 2010 as part of the Jarrod Saltalamacchia deal. He batted .268/.366/.474 with 23 home runs, 77 RBI and an .840 OPS over 123 games with Double-A Frisco this season. While he’s not considered one of the team’s top prospects, his strong performance in the AFL will likely help his case for the Rangers to add him to their 40-man roster in advance of December’s Rule 5 Draft.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 27
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)