Nov 17, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
This year’s class of participants in the Arizona Fall League included some big names like Reds speedster Billy Hamilton and Mariners prospect catcher Mike Zunino, but a lesser-known prospect ended up taking home the league’s Joe Black MVP Award. According to Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com, Rangers first base prospect Chris McGuiness was presented with the award prior to this afternoon’s title game between the Salt River Rafters and Peoria Javelinas.
McGuiness batted .283/.370/.467 with four home runs, five doubles and an .838 OPS over 25 AFL games while leading the league with 27 RBI. The 24-year-old amassed six three-RBI games and seven multi-hit games. Rockies’ third base prospect Nolan Arenado took home MVP honors last year while previous winners include current major leaguers Dustin Ackley, Tommy Hanson and Sam Fuld.
McGuiness, a 13th round pick in 2009, was acquired from the Red Sox in July of 2010 as part of the Jarrod Saltalamacchia deal. He batted .268/.366/.474 with 23 home runs, 77 RBI and an .840 OPS over 123 games with Double-A Frisco this season. While he’s not considered one of the team’s top prospects, his strong performance in the AFL will likely help his case for the Rangers to add him to their 40-man roster in advance of December’s Rule 5 Draft.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 46
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 25
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)