Nov 17, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
This year’s class of participants in the Arizona Fall League included some big names like Reds speedster Billy Hamilton and Mariners prospect catcher Mike Zunino, but a lesser-known prospect ended up taking home the league’s Joe Black MVP Award. According to Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com, Rangers first base prospect Chris McGuiness was presented with the award prior to this afternoon’s title game between the Salt River Rafters and Peoria Javelinas.
McGuiness batted .283/.370/.467 with four home runs, five doubles and an .838 OPS over 25 AFL games while leading the league with 27 RBI. The 24-year-old amassed six three-RBI games and seven multi-hit games. Rockies’ third base prospect Nolan Arenado took home MVP honors last year while previous winners include current major leaguers Dustin Ackley, Tommy Hanson and Sam Fuld.
McGuiness, a 13th round pick in 2009, was acquired from the Red Sox in July of 2010 as part of the Jarrod Saltalamacchia deal. He batted .268/.366/.474 with 23 home runs, 77 RBI and an .840 OPS over 123 games with Double-A Frisco this season. While he’s not considered one of the team’s top prospects, his strong performance in the AFL will likely help his case for the Rangers to add him to their 40-man roster in advance of December’s Rule 5 Draft.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 8
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 15
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)