Nov 17, 2012, 12:39 PM EDT
UPDATE: Martino adds that it’s become clear in negotiations that Dickey will sign for a deal comparable to, but likely less than, Jake Peavy‘s recent two-year, $29 million extension with the White Sox. Sure, there are worries about Dickey’s age and he throws harder than the average knuckleballer, but his asking price doesn’t sound unreasonable at all.
12:23 PM: We have two reports on where the Mets stand in contract talks with 2012 NL Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported this morning that the Mets plan to offer Dickey a two-year extension. Meanwhile, Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears that the Mets already made a two-year offer to Dickey approximately two weeks ago and the two sides are in the process of negotiating the terms.
No word on any specifics regarding the money involved, but Martino reports that the Mets know Dickey would accept a two-year deal. The Mets have already picked up Dickey’s bargain $5 million club option for 2013, but the knuckleballer is due to hit the free agent market next offseason.
While an extension is on the radar, the Mets are also talking to other teams to get a sense of what they could fetch in a potential trade. The fan backlash would be overwhelming if Dickey is traded this offseason, but the Mets are understandably seeing what’s out there with his value at an all-time high. Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said yesterday that he hopes to have some “clarity” in regard to Dickey and David Wright before the Winter Meetings begin on December 3.
Dickey went 20-6 with a 2.73 ERA and 230 strikeouts over 233 2/3 innings this season. The 38-year-old has a 2.95 ERA over three seasons with the Mets.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)