Nov 18, 2012, 6:50 PM EST
If you hadn’t already heard, Gary Sheffield went into the agent business a couple of years back. His client list doesn’t include many major league veterans at the moment, but he does have one rather popular free agent: former Pirates reliever Jason Grilli.
“We’ve got eight teams interested right now,” Sheffield told the Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo. “We have three offers right now.”
One of the teams interested is believed to be the Red Sox.
“We’re not in a hurry,” Sheffield said. “There are some things we want to look at a little further. We’re not sure the market has fully developed for Jason.”
Don’t scoff: Grilli is hardly a big name but he struck out a whopping 90 batters while amassing a 2.91 ERA and 32 holds in 58 2/3 innings for the Pirates last season. Throwing better than average at 35 (he turned 36 this month), he seems likely to command a two-year deal worth at least $3 million per season. It’ll be a nice payday for a reliever whose previous high salary was $1.1 million.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)