Nov 18, 2012, 6:50 PM EDT
If you hadn’t already heard, Gary Sheffield went into the agent business a couple of years back. His client list doesn’t include many major league veterans at the moment, but he does have one rather popular free agent: former Pirates reliever Jason Grilli.
“We’ve got eight teams interested right now,” Sheffield told the Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo. “We have three offers right now.”
One of the teams interested is believed to be the Red Sox.
“We’re not in a hurry,” Sheffield said. “There are some things we want to look at a little further. We’re not sure the market has fully developed for Jason.”
Don’t scoff: Grilli is hardly a big name but he struck out a whopping 90 batters while amassing a 2.91 ERA and 32 holds in 58 2/3 innings for the Pirates last season. Throwing better than average at 35 (he turned 36 this month), he seems likely to command a two-year deal worth at least $3 million per season. It’ll be a nice payday for a reliever whose previous high salary was $1.1 million.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (154)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)