Nov 18, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
Via Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times:
LHP J.P. Howell, who would like to return, said there are “a handful” of teams interested and wasn’t sure how quickly a decision will come. The Angels may be one.
The Cardinals, who really only need a left-handed reliever, could also be one of those interested teams.
Howell, 29, posted a 3.04 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 50 1/3 innings this past season for the Rays while holding left-handed batters to a .200/.306/.306 slash line. He has a .241/.323/.351 career split against lefties.
Jeremy Affeldt, a fellow southpaw, just signed a nice three-year, $18 million contract with the Giants.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8