Nov 18, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
Via Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times:
LHP J.P. Howell, who would like to return, said there are “a handful” of teams interested and wasn’t sure how quickly a decision will come. The Angels may be one.
The Cardinals, who really only need a left-handed reliever, could also be one of those interested teams.
Howell, 29, posted a 3.04 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 50 1/3 innings this past season for the Rays while holding left-handed batters to a .200/.306/.306 slash line. He has a .241/.323/.351 career split against lefties.
Jeremy Affeldt, a fellow southpaw, just signed a nice three-year, $18 million contract with the Giants.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 7
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)