Nov 18, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
Via Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times:
LHP J.P. Howell, who would like to return, said there are “a handful” of teams interested and wasn’t sure how quickly a decision will come. The Angels may be one.
The Cardinals, who really only need a left-handed reliever, could also be one of those interested teams.
Howell, 29, posted a 3.04 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 50 1/3 innings this past season for the Rays while holding left-handed batters to a .200/.306/.306 slash line. He has a .241/.323/.351 career split against lefties.
Jeremy Affeldt, a fellow southpaw, just signed a nice three-year, $18 million contract with the Giants.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 45
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 10
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)