Nov 18, 2012, 1:41 PM EDT
The Cardinals are hoping to get some answers soon on Rafael Furcal‘s status for the start of 2013.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the veteran shortstop will undergo an MRI later this month to determine whether there has been any sort of healing in his injured right elbow.
Furcal suffered a partially torn elbow ligament in late August, pushing Pete Kozma into a starting role.
If there isn’t sufficient healing, one wonders if the Cardinals will step up their pursuit of the Indians’ Asdrubal Cabrera.
Furcal, 35, batted .264/.325/.346 with five home runs in 531 plate appearances this past season for the National League Wild Card winners. He had a decent first half but faded badly down the stretch.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)