Nov 18, 2012, 1:41 PM EDT
The Cardinals are hoping to get some answers soon on Rafael Furcal‘s status for the start of 2013.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the veteran shortstop will undergo an MRI later this month to determine whether there has been any sort of healing in his injured right elbow.
Furcal suffered a partially torn elbow ligament in late August, pushing Pete Kozma into a starting role.
If there isn’t sufficient healing, one wonders if the Cardinals will step up their pursuit of the Indians’ Asdrubal Cabrera.
Furcal, 35, batted .264/.325/.346 with five home runs in 531 plate appearances this past season for the National League Wild Card winners. He had a decent first half but faded badly down the stretch.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (221)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)