Nov 18, 2012, 1:41 PM EDT
The Cardinals are hoping to get some answers soon on Rafael Furcal‘s status for the start of 2013.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the veteran shortstop will undergo an MRI later this month to determine whether there has been any sort of healing in his injured right elbow.
Furcal suffered a partially torn elbow ligament in late August, pushing Pete Kozma into a starting role.
If there isn’t sufficient healing, one wonders if the Cardinals will step up their pursuit of the Indians’ Asdrubal Cabrera.
Furcal, 35, batted .264/.325/.346 with five home runs in 531 plate appearances this past season for the National League Wild Card winners. He had a decent first half but faded badly down the stretch.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 7
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)