Nov 18, 2012, 1:41 PM EST
The Cardinals are hoping to get some answers soon on Rafael Furcal‘s status for the start of 2013.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the veteran shortstop will undergo an MRI later this month to determine whether there has been any sort of healing in his injured right elbow.
Furcal suffered a partially torn elbow ligament in late August, pushing Pete Kozma into a starting role.
If there isn’t sufficient healing, one wonders if the Cardinals will step up their pursuit of the Indians’ Asdrubal Cabrera.
Furcal, 35, batted .264/.325/.346 with five home runs in 531 plate appearances this past season for the National League Wild Card winners. He had a decent first half but faded badly down the stretch.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 10
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 50
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 34
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (102)