Nov 18, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
Alex Speier of Boston’s WEEI.com has the news:
According to a major league source, the Red Sox will interview a pair of long-time big leaguers about their hitting coach position(s) this week, with Craig Counsell slated to interview on Monday and Greg Colbrunn in the process of being scheduled for another time during the week.
The Red Sox have already held interviews with former Diamondbacks hitting coach Rick Schu, Braves assisstant hitting coach Scott Fletcher and their own minor league hitting coordinator, Victor Rodriguez.
Counsell has never coached at any level. He retired from baseball in 2011 after amassing 1,208 career hits and served as a special assistant to Brewers general manager Doug Melvin during the 2012 season.
Colbrunn spent five of the past six years as the hitting coach for the Yankees’ Low-A affiliate in Charleston.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)