Nov 18, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
Alex Speier of Boston’s WEEI.com has the news:
According to a major league source, the Red Sox will interview a pair of long-time big leaguers about their hitting coach position(s) this week, with Craig Counsell slated to interview on Monday and Greg Colbrunn in the process of being scheduled for another time during the week.
The Red Sox have already held interviews with former Diamondbacks hitting coach Rick Schu, Braves assisstant hitting coach Scott Fletcher and their own minor league hitting coordinator, Victor Rodriguez.
Counsell has never coached at any level. He retired from baseball in 2011 after amassing 1,208 career hits and served as a special assistant to Brewers general manager Doug Melvin during the 2012 season.
Colbrunn spent five of the past six years as the hitting coach for the Yankees’ Low-A affiliate in Charleston.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)