Nov 18, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
Alex Speier of Boston’s WEEI.com has the news:
According to a major league source, the Red Sox will interview a pair of long-time big leaguers about their hitting coach position(s) this week, with Craig Counsell slated to interview on Monday and Greg Colbrunn in the process of being scheduled for another time during the week.
The Red Sox have already held interviews with former Diamondbacks hitting coach Rick Schu, Braves assisstant hitting coach Scott Fletcher and their own minor league hitting coordinator, Victor Rodriguez.
Counsell has never coached at any level. He retired from baseball in 2011 after amassing 1,208 career hits and served as a special assistant to Brewers general manager Doug Melvin during the 2012 season.
Colbrunn spent five of the past six years as the hitting coach for the Yankees’ Low-A affiliate in Charleston.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)