“Brandishing his baseball tattoos and asparagus club … “

Nov 19, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

Stockton Ports logo

Minor league mascot unveiling season continues apace, with the latest entry coming from the Stockton Ports, California League affiliate of the Oakland A’s:

The Ports new logos honor Stockton’s heritage as the largest in-land port in California and the Asparagus Capital of the World. A new character, 5 O’clock Dock, is the centerpiece of the identity, brandishing his baseball tattoos and asparagus club. Navy, Shipyard Gray and Asparagus green make up the club’s new alternate colors. The Ports are the first professional sports team to use Asparagus green.

Really? The first? That I find shocking.

(thanks to Don M. for the link)

1. historiophiliac - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Hey! And a shout-out to Natslady for posting this the other night.

• heyblueyoustink - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Props to the Nats Lady then! I just saw it this moring and tweeted it along knowing that Craig’s cell phone has been surgically connected to his body.

Or I assume so, anyway.

Oh, and ironically, I packed Asparagus for lunch.

• historiophiliac - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I do miss being able to cut the wild variety along the roadside in CO…mmmmmm.

• heyblueyoustink - Nov 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Out here in the greater Philadelphia area you have a better chance of finding freshly emptied dime bags on the side of our roads.

2. snowbirdgothic - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Funny, I’d just been asking myself what “Popeye on a meth bender” might look like.

• crisisjunky - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM

On a mission to take back the Neighborhoods from the Crack hoards, and give them back to
      decent god-fearing American Meth-heads.
      He switched to asparagus in the wake of the spinach botulism scare.

Not that the rest of us should cast asparagus at Stockton.

• historiophiliac - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I’m only thumbing up the last line.

3. megary - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM

That “porcupine on the trolley car” keeps looking better and better every day…

4. cur68 - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Well props to Stockton for a cool idea for mascot. He looks just like every minor league team mascot should look: fierce but ridiculous. Still, if he attempted to do anything with that asparagus club on Canadian soil he would find it sawn off and consumed by the mighty Castor canadensis in no time flat. As I mentioned on the porcupine thread, our national animal is badass and no sailor with a veggie club would stand a chance against our mighty beast.

• historiophiliac - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Yes, that varmint is hell on vegitation…but it is hardly the king of the diamond, Sir. He takes the coward’s way out, so as not to get an ass full of quills.

• cur68 - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM

The porcupine ran! He ran rather than face the wrath of The Beav. Then he got what he deserved….

• historiophiliac - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Hell, I’d run too from some flat-tailed, Molson-sauced tree killer.

• cur68 - Nov 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Well…anyone would, really. Those buck teeth leave a nasty wound.

• historiophiliac - Nov 19, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I had the same problem before braces. Doesn’t your national health care cover orthodontia?

• paperlions - Nov 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Tatu >> beaver

• historiophiliac - Nov 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Very nice, Sir. Playing the roadkill card. I bow in deference.

• cur68 - Nov 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I wouldn’t look a gift Tatu in the mouth, that’s for sure. Hell, why not Tatu? I’m pro Beaver and pro Tatu. In fact I’d like to see them bikini wrestle in big pool of seal blubber.

• historiophiliac - Nov 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Bikini rasslin’ in seal blubber is all on you and paper.

5. Charles Gates - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

The Wilmington Blue Rocks have Mr. Celery as one of their mascots. He runs around behind home plate every time the Blue Rocks plate a run.

• snowbirdgothic - Nov 19, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Runs around? You mean he doesn’t…stalk?

6. randygnyc - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Popeye has been to balco.

7. skerney - Nov 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM

5 O’Clock Dock is the Duke of The 209. A number one!

• crisisjunky - Nov 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM

That tat don’t stand for ‘Stockton’

8. jlovenotjlo - Nov 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I think some slim jim apparatus in his hands would have been more representative of Stockton, one of the worst cities in America.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey