Nov 19, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Commissioner Bud Selig has signed off on the blockbuster Marlins-Blue Jays trade one week after Miami agreed to send Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, John Buck, and Emilio Bonifacio to Toronto for Adeiny Hechavarria, Yunel Escobar, Henderson Alvarez, Jeff Mathis, Justin Nicolino, Jake Marisnick, and Anthony Desclafani.
There was some speculation that Selig might reject the deal, but there was never much precedent for that–at least not during Selig’s tenure as commissioner–and dragging it out as long as he did perhaps represents the most he would realistically do to display his unhappiness with the Marlins’ latest firesale.
In approving the trade Selig stressed that he “carefully reviewed the proposed transaction” with the help of many veteran baseball officials and cited “plausible baseball judgment on the part of both clubs.”
And then he seemingly took a little jab at the Marlins, saying: “It is, of course, up to the clubs involved to make the case to their respective fans that this transaction makes sense and enhances the competitive position of each, now or in the future.”
Yeah, good luck with that. Here’s the last part of Selig’s lengthy statement:
I am sensitive to the concerns of the fans of Miami regarding this trade, and I understand the reactions I have heard since Tuesday. Baseball is a social institution with important social responsibilities and I fully understand that the Miami community has done its part to put the Marlins into a position to succeed with beautiful new Marlins Park. Going forward, I will continue to monitor this situation with the expectation that the Marlins will take into account the sentiments of their fans, who deserve the best efforts and considered judgment of their club. I have received assurances from the ownership of the Marlins that they share these beliefs and are fully committed to build a long-term winning team that their fans can be proud of.
On a related note, “plausible baseball judgment” is a phrase we should all make sure to use constantly for the rest of our lives.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)