Nov 19, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
I don’t really pay too close attention to ticket prices as a matter of course, but some Mets folks are wondering if the Mets have jacked up Opening Day ticket prices:
Is it just me or do these price seem quite high for Opening Day? twitter.com/METS_BRO/statu…
— METS BRO (@METS_BRO) November 19, 2012
I tried to search around for historical Opening Day prices, but couldn’t find anything straight from the Mets. I found this article from last year by Howard Megdal which refers to those promenade reserve tickets being $42, but I’m not sure if that’s a normal price or a special Opening Day price (seems like the Opening Day price based on the Game 2 price of those tickets in the above tweet).
It certainly seems like these are high prices — perhaps 50% higher for the cheapest seats on Opening Day based on Megdal’s article. An article which, by the way, talks about how there were tons of unsold tickets mere days before 2012’s Opening Day.
A little help from Mets fans or people who do pay closer attention to this stuff: is that an unusual set of prices for Opening Day or are specific Opening Day prices just something that always look like this and we don’t notice? And yes, I realize that no one will likely be paying those kinds of prices in reality thanks to the scalpers and all of that, but the team’s initial asking price is worthy of note.
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 0
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 32
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (112)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)