Nov 19, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
I don’t really pay too close attention to ticket prices as a matter of course, but some Mets folks are wondering if the Mets have jacked up Opening Day ticket prices:
Is it just me or do these price seem quite high for Opening Day? twitter.com/METS_BRO/statu…
— METS BRO (@METS_BRO) November 19, 2012
I tried to search around for historical Opening Day prices, but couldn’t find anything straight from the Mets. I found this article from last year by Howard Megdal which refers to those promenade reserve tickets being $42, but I’m not sure if that’s a normal price or a special Opening Day price (seems like the Opening Day price based on the Game 2 price of those tickets in the above tweet).
It certainly seems like these are high prices — perhaps 50% higher for the cheapest seats on Opening Day based on Megdal’s article. An article which, by the way, talks about how there were tons of unsold tickets mere days before 2012’s Opening Day.
A little help from Mets fans or people who do pay closer attention to this stuff: is that an unusual set of prices for Opening Day or are specific Opening Day prices just something that always look like this and we don’t notice? And yes, I realize that no one will likely be paying those kinds of prices in reality thanks to the scalpers and all of that, but the team’s initial asking price is worthy of note.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 32
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)