Cheapest tickets to Mets Opening Day: $63

Nov 19, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT

I don’t really pay too close attention to ticket prices as a matter of course, but some Mets folks are wondering if the Mets have jacked up Opening Day ticket prices:

I tried to search around for historical Opening Day prices, but couldn’t find anything straight from the Mets. I found this article from last year by Howard Megdal which refers to those promenade reserve tickets being $42, but I’m not sure if that’s a normal price or a special Opening Day price (seems like the Opening Day price based on the Game 2 price of those tickets in the above tweet).

It certainly seems like these are high prices — perhaps 50% higher for the cheapest seats on Opening Day based on Megdal’s article. An article which, by the way, talks about how there were tons of unsold tickets mere days before 2012′s Opening Day.

A little help from Mets fans or people who do pay closer attention to this stuff: is that an unusual set of prices for Opening Day or are specific Opening Day prices just something that always look like this and we don’t notice? And yes, I realize that no one will likely be paying those kinds of prices in reality thanks to the scalpers and all of that, but the team’s initial asking price is worthy of note.

1. kevinleaptrot - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM

At least they’ll field a quality product to justify these prices.

• heyblueyoustink - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

The Mets are going to buy the Twinkies brand and recipe and spread them on the field?

2. Old Gator - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I’d go to watch Biggeth Dicketh pitch five days later….

• stevejeltzjehricurl - Nov 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM

You could watch him Opening Day, too. Just wait until the top of the first begins, and you will probably find a scalper willing to sell at a massive discount…. like the Wilpons someday may need to do with the franchise itself.

3. nghtrder169 - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

The team is broke & they suck… Why not get the most from fans that will always go to the stadium for opening day no matter if the team sucks or not

• dan1111 - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

As a fan who would be just fine with going on day 2, I would have no problem with those fans subsidizing me.

• willclarkgameface - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

It’s not the problem of the fanbase that the team sucks and is broke. That burden falls onto the shoulders of morons that choose to knowingly or unknowingly (your call) put their money into a Ponzi scheme.

And for them to be okay with jacking the prices up NOT because they feel its a special day, but because they are broke is fucking lame.

4. willclarkgameface - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

The Office of MLB doesn’t even give a shit about opening day. You have to be a super fan to figure out when the “true” opening day really is and even at that it’s a shit show because not every team starts on the same day.

I’d like to see:
    1) ONE opening day for all teams in the league, fuck the TV money, but they won’t so this was a dumb suggestion
    2) more importance being given by MLB to opening day and obnoxious-raised-hand-waving to the masses to let the rest of the country know and not just the sabrmetrician in your basement that baseball is back
    3) AFFORDABLE opening day prices. Much like everything in baseball has a stat, every seat, day, and opponent has a price. It’s gotten so very silly.

Opening day is a special day, but after the first pitch, it’s really just the first game of the season and is it worth 4x what tickets normally cost? Fuck that. Get a life Mets.

• nolanwiffle - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Spot on. Used to be a big deal to see/hear the Reds kicking off the season every year. Nowadays we’re lucky if the first game of the year is played on American soil.

• thereisaparty - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM

A sabermetrician in a basement? That is comedy gold!

5. mattyflex - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Just to draw comparison, My front row dugout seat to the home opener at Kauffman last year was only $130.

• willclarkgameface - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM

AAAANNNNNDDD you got ripped off.

• mattyflex - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Because the Mets cheapest ticket being $63 is such a great deal, right?

• thereisaparty - Nov 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Or he believed that attending that game in that seat was worth $130 (or more). People value things differently.

6. leokitty - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM

The Mets converted to dynamic pricing last year with a floor of $12 (I think) on the cheapest tickets. I would guess that the price they’re selling the opening day tickets for are what their pricing scales tops out at, though I never saw it go higher than about $45 last year (for the Yankees games).

• leokitty - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM

~$45 for the cheapest seats, to be clear.

7. sdelmonte - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Don’t ask me. I can never get off for Opening Day. And this year, it’s on one of the days of Passover when I am doing synagoguey stuff, so I still can’t go.

But that is pretty steep for the Mets and the Pods. (I will once note how dumb it is to have a team from one of baseball’s best weather cities come to NYC on April to start the year.)

8. paperlions - Nov 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Is that special “opening day” prices? or is that a special price because it’ll be the only day all year when they won’t be a sub-.500 team….and rooting for a non-losing team puts a premium on tickets?

9. steelhammer92 - Nov 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Dynamic pricing at its finest. Jack up the prices to the games the fans want to see, and try to justify it by selling crap games for cheap; even though you can get the crap games on StubHub for cheap already. Pretty lousy, but MLB teams have become scalpers who have a monopolistic control over supply.

• thereisaparty - Nov 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Higher demand = higher prices. How is this evil? If that ticket price is above what you value the game at, you don’t buy it. You use that money and time for something that will benefit you more. If the price matches or is less than your valuation, you go. This is how the purchasing of things works. No one is getting ripped off.

10. kappy32 - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:25 AM

$63 to watch a AAA team? No thanks. I can go 10 minutes away to watch the LI Ducks for $10 & I guarantee you the Ducks have more talent than the Mets. Josh Hamilton better be coming to town for those prices.

11. badintent - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:04 AM

My friend took a first date to a Ducks game, only cost $30 for the tickets and beer, then had $$ left over to get a short stay motel and have happy ending !!She dug the long ball and big bat.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act