Nov 19, 2012, 5:39 PM EST
Quote from Yankees officials regarding of the sale of a stake in YES Network to News Corp in one ESPN New York column:
“This has nothing to do with selling the team,” the official said. “Under no circumstances will the team be sold.”
Said column all but dismisses the quote and speculates about the Yankees being sold. Then here’s a passage from another ESPN New York column, after quoting that flat denial that the Yankees are for sale:
There are people in the sports industry who think it is more of a matter of when, not if, the Steinbrenners will sell the Yankees … By bringing salaries below $189M by ’14, they also will be able to make the team more appealing to a potential buyer … As of now, there is no “For Sale” sign at 161st Street and River Ave., but there are signs. Stay tuned, this story is not going away.
Of course it’s not going to go away if the people who write these columns ignore the very statements denying their basis in reality.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)