Nov 19, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
Injuries have derailed Kyle Blanks‘ career, causing the 6-foot-6 slugger to go from 22-year-old top prospect to 26-year-old question mark, but the first baseman/outfielder will remain with the Padres for another season.
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that Blanks has agreed to a one-year, $605,000 contract that allows him to avoid arbitration with the Padres following a year in which he missed all but a handful of games due to shoulder surgery.
When healthy enough to play Blanks has never stopped putting up huge numbers in the minors and had an impressive big-league debut in 2009, but since then he’s hit just .202 in 92 games for the Padres while missing big chunks of time following elbow and shoulder surgeries.
There was some speculation that he could be non-tendered, but the one-year deal allows the Padres to stick with him for a modest price.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)