Nov 19, 2012, 8:00 PM EST
Scary news here. According to Greg Johns of MLB.com, Mariners left-hander Anthony Vasquez required emergency surgery last Friday after doctors discovered a ruptured blood vessel in his brain.
Vasquez began experiencing headaches initially, but didn’t think anything was wrong until he had dizziness and vision problems during a throwing session last Wednesday at the Mariners’ complex in Arizona. Tests showed a lesion in his brain and doctors found a left-threatening ruptured arteriovenous malformation (AVM) during the 5 1/2 hour procedure. The good news is that he came out of the surgery fine and was discharged from the hospital today.
“He’s a miracle,” said his father, Rudy, who is a scout in the Angels’ organization. “We have a strong faith in Jesus and Anthony’s faith has always been strong as well. There’s no other way to say it. When the neurosurgeon came out he said, ‘Your son should be dead, but he’s not.'”
Doctors told Vasquez that he’ll need to avoid heavy lifting for about 6-8 weeks, but he’s expected to be back to normal after that. Baseball obviously takes a back seat for now, but there’s a chance he pitch by the spring if all goes well.
Vasquez, 26, had an 8.90 ERA in seven starts with the Mariners in 2011. He was limited to just 11 starts this season with Triple-A Tacoma due to a shoulder injury.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 40
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)