Nov 19, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
According to Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said on “Inside Pitch” this afternoon that Furcal’s MRI showed that the ligament in his elbow is completely healed. The expectation right now is that he’ll be 100 percent for spring training.
The Cardinals were mentioned as a potential suitor for Indians’ shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, but the good news on Furcal means that they will likely turn their attention to other matters. With that in mind, Mozeliak also mentioned on today’s show that he will be in the market for a left-handed reliever and a veteran bat off the bench.
Furcal, 35, batted .264/.325/.346 with five home runs, 49 RBI and a .671 OPS in 121 games with the Cardinals this season. He is owed $7 million in 2013 and can become a free agent next winter.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 43
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (75)