Nov 19, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
According to Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said on “Inside Pitch” this afternoon that Furcal’s MRI showed that the ligament in his elbow is completely healed. The expectation right now is that he’ll be 100 percent for spring training.
The Cardinals were mentioned as a potential suitor for Indians’ shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, but the good news on Furcal means that they will likely turn their attention to other matters. With that in mind, Mozeliak also mentioned on today’s show that he will be in the market for a left-handed reliever and a veteran bat off the bench.
Furcal, 35, batted .264/.325/.346 with five home runs, 49 RBI and a .671 OPS in 121 games with the Cardinals this season. He is owed $7 million in 2013 and can become a free agent next winter.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)