Nov 19, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
According to Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said on “Inside Pitch” this afternoon that Furcal’s MRI showed that the ligament in his elbow is completely healed. The expectation right now is that he’ll be 100 percent for spring training.
The Cardinals were mentioned as a potential suitor for Indians’ shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, but the good news on Furcal means that they will likely turn their attention to other matters. With that in mind, Mozeliak also mentioned on today’s show that he will be in the market for a left-handed reliever and a veteran bat off the bench.
Furcal, 35, batted .264/.325/.346 with five home runs, 49 RBI and a .671 OPS in 121 games with the Cardinals this season. He is owed $7 million in 2013 and can become a free agent next winter.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 66
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 23
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 25
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 95
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)