Those Rangers exhibition games in the Alamodome are gonna be fun

Nov 19, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

alamodome

Last week it was reported that the Rangers will play some exhibition games in the Alamodome in San Antonio.  Based on the dimensions, those should be some fun games:

The Rangers have to purchase a new artificial field for the games, and the field will have unique outfield dimensions. The distance from home plate to the left-field corner will be a normal 340 feet, and it’ll be 395 to center. But the distance down the right-field line will be only 280 feet, but hitters will have to clear a 16-foot wall.

No word if Henry the Puffy Taco or Ballapeno will be on hand, but I’m assuming they will be.

(thanks to Allison — who is miffed that she is moving away from San Antonio before getting a chance to see major league games there — for the heads up)

1. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM

HatTip to the girlfriend? Is that how things are working now? Next thing you know, she’ll be doing guest posts, then a weekend gig and a few months later it’s DetroitTigersTalk.com.

I’ve seen it all before…

2. Alex K - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Is this going to turn into a bunch of puffy taco jokes again? If so, sign me up!

3. psousa1 - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM

In other words it will be the same dimension down the RF line as Yankee stadium.

4. APBA Guy - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I can remember moving away from San Antonio almost 20 years ago. There’s definitely a lingering fondness for the place, as the people there are just wonderful. But I don’t miss 90 degrees in March thru November, nor do I miss that San Antonio isn’t Austin. However, I still get my barbecue sause (that’s how they spell it, really) from Rudy’s.

If the Alamodome experiment works out, I wonder if Lew Wolff will start hinting around about new “possible destinations” for the A’s.

• thomas655 - Nov 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

APBA, I have lived in San Antonio all of my life, and I don’t mind the hot weather. I can safely say that I have never had to shovel snow in the winter (pretty good tradeoff). Rudy’s is great BBQ, that is for sure!!!

As far as the Ranger’s games, I will be there to see Henry Cisneros’ Alamodome fail as a baseball venue. I still cannot believe we, the taxpayers, paid to build this domed stadium that was too big for the Spurs, with no hope of ever getting a NFL franchise, and too small for baseball (height and width). I will go to see the teams load up with left handed batters and turn popups into homeruns in right field, and count how many fly balls hit the ceiling.

After the Spurs got their new AT&T Center, the Alamodome became a venue for (1) college football bowl game per year, and monster truck rallies. What a waste of taxpayer’s money, this stadium sits empty most of the year.

• APBA Guy - Nov 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Hi Thomas- I was there for the opening of the Alamodome. Right away you knew it was going to be a disaster. I had season tickets to the Spurs at the old arena on the Riverwalk. I loved that place: convenient, plenty to do before and after, and intimate. You could yell and scream and everyone around you could do the same and produce a deafening, Spurs-friendly roar.

The Alamodome was just the opposite. The fans were way too far away from the floor and it seemed like a library most of the time. A very, very big library. I saw a concert there and it was terrible, just too damn big.

Time for the bulldozer, don’t you think?

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5022)