Nov 19, 2012, 12:18 PM EDT
Todd Frazier spent this year filling in for an injured Scott Rolen at third base and an injured Joey Votto at first base, but with Rolen either retiring or signing elsewhere as a free agent the Reds’ third base job is his for the taking in 2013.
“Right now, Frazier would be penciled in as our third baseman next year,” general manager Walt Jocketty said, via Mark Sheldon of MLB.com.
Not exactly an earth-shattering revelation, certainly, but Frazier could also be an option in an outfield corner depending on the Reds’ moves this winter. Regardless of his position Frazier figures to be in the Reds’ lineup every day after hitting .273 with 19 homers and an .829 OPS in 128 games as a 26-year-old rookie.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)