Nov 19, 2012, 12:18 PM EDT
Todd Frazier spent this year filling in for an injured Scott Rolen at third base and an injured Joey Votto at first base, but with Rolen either retiring or signing elsewhere as a free agent the Reds’ third base job is his for the taking in 2013.
“Right now, Frazier would be penciled in as our third baseman next year,” general manager Walt Jocketty said, via Mark Sheldon of MLB.com.
Not exactly an earth-shattering revelation, certainly, but Frazier could also be an option in an outfield corner depending on the Reds’ moves this winter. Regardless of his position Frazier figures to be in the Reds’ lineup every day after hitting .273 with 19 homers and an .829 OPS in 128 games as a 26-year-old rookie.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)