Nov 20, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
Pena has been the Royals’ backup catcher for the past four seasons, but hasn’t hit since a solid showing in 2009 and has a career .248 batting average with a .635 OPS in 335 games at age 31.
Volstad was claimed off waivers from the Cubs last month, but at the time I noted that it was odd because the Royals seemingly shouldn’t want to keep him at his likely $2-3 million arbitration price for 2013. It turns out they didn’t.
Mazzaro was acquired from the A’s for David DeJesus in November of 2010, but he’s been terrible for the Royals with a 6.22 ERA and 36/34 K/BB ratio in 72 innings.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (88)