Nov 20, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
Pena has been the Royals’ backup catcher for the past four seasons, but hasn’t hit since a solid showing in 2009 and has a career .248 batting average with a .635 OPS in 335 games at age 31.
Volstad was claimed off waivers from the Cubs last month, but at the time I noted that it was odd because the Royals seemingly shouldn’t want to keep him at his likely $2-3 million arbitration price for 2013. It turns out they didn’t.
Mazzaro was acquired from the A’s for David DeJesus in November of 2010, but he’s been terrible for the Royals with a 6.22 ERA and 36/34 K/BB ratio in 72 innings.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 73
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 11
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)