Nov 20, 2012, 9:56 PM EDT
If you pay attention at all to the MLB Amateur Draft, you’re probably familiar with pitcher Barret Loux.
The 6-foot-5 righty from Texas A&M was selected sixth overall in June 2010 by the Diamondbacks but went unsigned after a physical revealed a labrum tear in his shoulder and multiple issues with his elbow.
He spent the rest of the summer getting healthy, then landed a free agent contract — with a $312,000 signing bonus — from the Rangers in November.
And now the Rangers have traded him to the Cubs, according to MLB.com beat writer Carrie Muskat, along with a player to be named later. Going to Texas in return is Jacob Brigham, a 24-year-old right-hander who began his career in the Rangers’ system. He was traded to Chicago this July for catcher Geovany Soto.
Loux, 23, has a 3.62 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 227 strikeouts in 236 career minor league innings. He posted a 3.47 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 100/41 K/BB ratio across 127 frames this past season at Double-A Frisco.
Jason Parks of Baseball Prospectus says Loux projects as a “back of the rotation” starter.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 0
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 1
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 22
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (96)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)