Nov 20, 2012, 9:56 PM EDT
If you pay attention at all to the MLB Amateur Draft, you’re probably familiar with pitcher Barret Loux.
The 6-foot-5 righty from Texas A&M was selected sixth overall in June 2010 by the Diamondbacks but went unsigned after a physical revealed a labrum tear in his shoulder and multiple issues with his elbow.
He spent the rest of the summer getting healthy, then landed a free agent contract — with a $312,000 signing bonus — from the Rangers in November.
And now the Rangers have traded him to the Cubs, according to MLB.com beat writer Carrie Muskat, along with a player to be named later. Going to Texas in return is Jacob Brigham, a 24-year-old right-hander who began his career in the Rangers’ system. He was traded to Chicago this July for catcher Geovany Soto.
Loux, 23, has a 3.62 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 227 strikeouts in 236 career minor league innings. He posted a 3.47 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 100/41 K/BB ratio across 127 frames this past season at Double-A Frisco.
Jason Parks of Baseball Prospectus says Loux projects as a “back of the rotation” starter.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)