Nov 20, 2012, 9:23 AM EST
According to an industry source with knowledge of the discussions, Wright is a “50-50” proposition at best to sign a long-term extension with the Mets this offseason, as the two sides continue to negotiate a deal that would potentially allow the All-Star third baseman to finish his career in Queens.
Wright reportedly is not happy with the offers he’s getting, in terms of both years and dollars. Puma says he wants “at least” seven years and $125 million. Which sorta makes me wonder if that actually came from Wright or his people, because if they were leaking his demands into the press, why would they put an “at least” on it, thereby pegging the lowest he’d accept?
Eh, that’s neither here nor there. Nor is the whole “50-50″ thing, really. Free agent signings aren’t exactly science and don’t lend themselves to probabilities likes, say, successfully navigating an asteroid field and such. Which, by the way, are approximately 3,720 to 1.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 10
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 279
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)