Gerald Laird to get $1.5 million a year from the Braves

Nov 20, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT

gerald-laird-tigers Getty Images

We learned of the deal last Thursday, but now we know the money: Gerald Laird will get $3 million for his two years with the Braves. There are incentives which could get him an extra $750K.

Those incentives are based on games started.  Worth noting that if Laird earns all of his incentive money it will mean that Brian McCann didn’t make it back from his shoulder surgery which means paying Laird three quarters of a million is the least of their problems.

I know this isn’t the most newsworthy post ever, so I’ll add something to it: my son just said “Dad, was there an actor named Michael Jordan?” I’ve been a parent for nearly nine years, but I’m still not quite sure what to do with questions like that.

1. heyblueyoustink - Nov 20, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Well, depending on your definition of “actor” and your opinion of the movie Space Jam…… and all those Big Mac commercials with the equally theatrical Larry Bird.

2. Francisco (FC) - Nov 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Is it me or did the Braves just get weaker? Ross was better than Laird, why commit two years to him? This is like Ruben’s signing of Brian Schneider a couple of year s back.

• Kevin S. - Nov 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

If I had to guess, I’d say Frank Wren is operating under a Liberty Media-imposed hard cap, and while $1.5 million might not seem like a lot, that could be one or two other roster spots he can fill now. It definitely downgrades the Braves though.

3. historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 9:29 AM

bahahahahahahaha

4. Just a Fan - Nov 20, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Laird is a soild Catcher. He is far from McCaan, but has a good arm, can call a good game and can come through with a clutch hit often. While it is not a sexy addition, it makes sense from a baseball perspective.

As a Tiger fan, I can tell you he earned his money and was a good guy in the clubhouse. Ranger fans can tell you the same thing. Not great, but good.

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Are you kidding me? He can’t hit and he allows steals. He might be a pleasant teammate and can take getting roughed up, but he isn’t an everyday player.

• Detroit Michael - Nov 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM

He’s not good enough to be a starter, but Laird is still better than the average back-up catcher.

5. hieronymous27 - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Laird’s physique is more similar to that of a third base coach than a MLB player (no insult intended to third base coaches). He does resemble Gene LaMont, the third base coach of the Detroit Tigers in terms of their shared rotund- ness.

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM

And, unlike Miggy, lacks power moobs.

6. lorddarkhelmet - Nov 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM

FAT

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5555)