Nov 20, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
We heard about this last week, but now it’s official and now we know how big a stake:
News Corporation said Tuesday it was acquiring a 49 percent stake in the Yes Network, the New York Yankees’ regional cable sports channel. Yankee Global Enterprises, Goldman Sachs and other investors will reduce their ownership as part of the transaction.
News Corp gets an option to buy up to an 80 percent stake in the network. If that were to happen the Steinbrenner family and the Yankees, obviously, would be a lot more like every other team which receives rights payments from a broadcaster rather than having one side of the house pay the other. Which makes this more interesting:
The Yankees also committed to stay on Yes Network through 2042, subject to approval of the deal from Major League Baseball.
Huh. You have to assume that there is some sort of mechanism to automatically keep those TV rights at the top of the market, because locking in to some sort of relationship for the next thirty years would, quite obviously, hurt the Yankees’ ability to get top value for broadcast rights from the presumably then third-party YES Network.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)