Picture of the Day: Andrew McCutchen has come a long way

Nov 20, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen, who finished third in the MVP voting in the first season of a $51.5 million contract, posted this on Twitter after a trip back home:

source:

1. mqcarpenter - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Like*

2. whitdog23 - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Amen and Amen

3. kicksave1980 - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I lived in Indianapolis when he was in AAA there, and it was so obvious from day 1 that he was going to be an amazing major leaguer. I’m a Cardinals fan and I don’t cheer for any divisional opponents, but I always cheer for him. Nice guy and I’m glad he made it.

• skids003 - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Me too, he is a nice guy.

Unfortunately, with the economy as is, this is becoming the norm.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM

With you Kick. I saw him play for the Indians as well. I have alwasy liked him.
      Where did you live in Indy?

4. Old Gator - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Good for you, Andrew. Hope you’re putting in some time with kids in the same original circumstances, convincing them that they can do it too. If so, you’ve got everything in life that’s worth having.

• indaburg - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I’m happy he was able to escape the circle of hell known as Bartow, FL. I was curious too about whether he spends time with children in similar circumstances and he does. The charity is called Cutch’s Crew: “Andrew works closely with many inner city youth providing a strong mentoring role for many disadvantaged youth in education and sports.” All around good guy.

• Old Gator - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Glad to hear it. By “works closely” I presume they don’t mean he just writes checks.

5. whatthehellisansky - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM

A nice thing to see as we approach thanksgiving.

Glad to see that even the stars that shine the brightest on the field remember where they came from and put their success in perspective.

Good stuff.

6. El Bravo - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Wow.

7. hushbrother - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM

It’s Florida, at least the weather is nice.

8. patriots55 - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM

That’s my house now :(

9. pilonflats - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Pure Horatio Alger

10. andyreidisthegoat - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM

It must make the people that live in there now feel good.

11. cur68 - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I wouldn’t be the least surprised if he went and had a word with the folks that live there now. My parents did a similar thing when they used to go back home. Living without hope isn’t living, its existing. Giving hope is better than giving money. Way to go Andrew McCutchen.

12. slickdemetrius - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Well, it is a roof over one’s head and it’s the people you share it with that make it a home, not just four walls and a roof.

13. yankeepunk3000 - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM

hope he doesn’t forget where he came from and can help people in need…51 million is a lot and he sure help families that need it…never forget where you came from

14. jkay1818 - Nov 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM

cur68, i remember that, i remember when your parents came back to the old hood, spoke to everyone and when they left, we were all like “who were those two?” im glad they came back to inspire us, from rags to riches.

• cur68 - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Sooo…you’re from Georgetown, eh? If you were, you’d know exactly who my parents were.

15. stlouis1baseball - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I thought I read somewhere that McCutchen’s parents were both Ministers. No?

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3499)