Nov 20, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
After some talk recently that free agent Jeremy Guthrie had priced himself out of the Royals’ range the two sides have agreed to a three year deal worth $25 million, according to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star.
Guthrie was a solid innings-eater for the Orioles, but things went horribly for him following a trade to the Rockies last offseason. He threw 91 innings for Colorado with a 6.35 ERA and .324 opponents’ batting average, at which point the Rockies dumped him on the Royals in exchange for Jonathan Sanchez.
And then Guthrie turned things around in Kansas City, starting 12 games with a 3.16 ERA to convince the Royals he was worth making a three-year commitment to at age 34. He’ll get $5 million in 2013, $11 million in 2014, and $9 million in 2015.
He’s thrown at least 175 innings in six straight seasons, but Guthrie has never managed an above-average strikeout rate despite good velocity and his career ERA as a starter is 4.21. He’s a solid, durable third or fourth starter entering his mid-30s and that type of player certainly has plenty of value, but a three-year, $25 million commitment seems awfully rich.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)