The Indians have a pitcher named C.C. Lee? Really?

Nov 20, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT

Beyond the top prospects and the general flow of things I don’t pay much attention to the minor leagues, so I was kind of surprised to see this name pop up on a tweet about the Indians:

CC Lee? Really? And the Tribe got him in 2009, the same year they traded away Cliff Lee to the Phillies and right after they traded CC Sabathia away to the Brewers?

I realize his name is Chen-Chang Lee, but the fact that writers covering the team call him “CC” makes me think that the team calls him that too.  And the Indians calling a guy they picked up in 2009 “CC Lee” smacks of a guy who just got dumped picking up a girl JUST LIKE the one who dumped him. Or, like, Jimmy Stewart in “Vertigo,” stalking Judy Barton after Madeline died.

Although, I guess if it was a “Vertigo” situation, CC Lee really would be either Cliff Lee or CC Sabathia, but wearing heavy makeup and trying to hide the fact that they were paying crazy mind games with the Indians all that time. Meanwhile, the Indians would be feeding CC Lee Captain Crunch and stuff in order to make him look JUST LIKE CC Sabathia, who they desperately miss.

Which, I suppose, is a little far-fetched. Heh, ah, haha. Um. Yeah.

When is Opening Day?

source:

1. cur68 - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM

When is opening day? 4.5 months. Just introduce another pie v cake debate, willya? That’ll hold us all for for a few weeks.

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM

cheesecake

• cur68 - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM

…is one of the best cakes.

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Because it’s pie-cake?

• cur68 - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:51 PM

It contains no soggy fruit and has no crust. It is cake. Do not speak of the abomination that is “pie-cake”. It is unclean.

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Cheese-pie was awesome, I’m telling you. But, all things considered, I’m a bread pudding kind of individual (and not just cuz of the Wild Turkey). I dig the flaming bananas too.

• cur68 - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Pudding? I hadn’t considered pudding as part of the debate. My little niece, who is 5, is known as “puddin'” ever since that was the first word she could say clearly when she learned to talk. Its here favourite dessert. I tell her she is what she eats. I guess that goes for you, too. Puddin’.

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I’ve been called worse…as long as it’s not that tapioca crap, I’m okay with it. I do make a mean bread pudding.

4 1/2 months…

• El Bravo - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM

sigh

• indaburg - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Bread pudding sucks. Just sayin’. It looks like it tastes. Soggy mess. Pudding on its own is a’ite, although why it that when you can eat cake.

March 31st. February 19th for voluntary spring training reporting. (Insert favorite diety), please let me hold on til then.

• cur68 - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Can’t say I’m a bread pudding fan m’self BUT I maintain that enough alcohol and even pie has its attractions. Ordinarily I have to put a bag over pie.

• indaburg - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Yes, alcohol can make a lot of things palatable. Even downright enjoyable.

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM

OMG, Burgie, you are so wrong. Clearly, you have not had my fabulous bread pudding. It is not soggy…unless you let the sugar/butter/whiskey sauce sit on it too long. I don’t know how that could happen.

• indaburg - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Hmmm… I don’t know if I can trust the taste buds of a woman who doesn’t like bacon or rum.

• cur68 - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Not like bacon or rum?? Jeez Puddin’, that’s intervention level stuff.

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Hey, I like canadian bacon, but, yeah, I didn’t get the rum gene. Sorry. Well, you cakeheads have fun with yer bad selves. Some of us prefer alternative desserts.

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Where’s Gator? I’m pretty sure he’ll back me up on the adult desserts.

• indaburg - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Rum + bacon are two of my primary food groups. I’d still give your bread pudding a chance. I’ll try just about anything once ’cause you can’t knock it til I try it. I just have not had good experiences with the ones I have tried. There are only so many kcals to go around. Why waste them on the so-so when you use them on the sublime?

I was wondering, do Canadians call Canadian bacon by that name? I mean, the French don’t call french fries “french fries.”

• cur68 - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM

We call bacon “yes please I’ll have some more” and we call that stuff Americans pass off as bacon “Heart Disease In Shrink Wrap”.

• heyblueyoustink - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Hostess proves cakes could easily be endangered species at the blink of an eye, if nothing else, they must be protected.

• indaburg - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I like both types, but Canadian bacon is more like ham. If I’m in the mood for ham, yes, please. If I’m in the mood for gristly, fatty deliciousness, pass the American stuff.

Heyblue, while I respect Hostess for its iconic status (after the apocalypse, only two things shall survive–Twinkies and roaches), but it’s really setting the bar low as far as cake goes.

February 19th. Pitchers and catchers.

• cur68 - Nov 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM

February 19th…5 days after Valentine’s Day. Coincidence? I think not.
        “There is no such thing as coincidence….just things for which we don’t have an answer.”- There Rabbit

• kevinbnyc - Nov 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Bacon-Rum Bread Pudding?

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM

heyblue, soak that Twinkie in rum and Burgie will be all over it. Kevin, you are not right putting gristle slices in my whiskey raisins. But, come Thursday, there will be pie.

• kevinbnyc - Nov 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Pardon me good sir, but bacon desserts are all the rage nowadays. Don’t knock it til you try it.

• anotheryx - Nov 20, 2012 at 4:53 PM

WTF you are stealing my cheesecake addendum?
        No matter, fruitcake!

• mrwillie - Nov 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I assume a good peach cobbler (or any cobbler) isn’t included in the discussion because it would be at an obvious advantage to pie or cake right?

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I do like a good peach cobbler…warm from the oven topped with homemade ice cream. Still, it is at a disadvantage since it is Baptist, which is to say non-alcoholic.

• indaburg - Nov 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM

My moist dark chocolate cake paired with a good cabernet, and I’m happy.

Mrwillie, cobbler is basically pie without the bottom crust. Soggy fruit. No cobbler.

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I don’t want to start anything, but fruitcake is an abomination. I think that’s biblical or Constitutional or something. One of the causes of the Revolution for sure.

• cur68 - Nov 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Fruitcake? In the case of you are what you eat, the fruitcake eaters deserve naught but scorn.

• indaburg - Nov 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I was wrong–voluntary reporting date for pitchers and catchers is actually February 14th. Valentine’s Day. Nope, no coincidence there. Much better gift than any box of chocolates. (2/19 is voluntary reporting date for everyone else.)

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Rats! I wanted Torii to be my valentine…sigh…I guess I can settle for V or Scherzer.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Cheesecake is far closer to pie than cake.
        Pie is wondeful. Cake…not so much.
        In fact…Pie makes Cake it’s Bitch on a regular basis.
        Whaddya’ got now Cur?

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Tapioca Pudding is wonderful. You have issues Philiac. Serious. Issues.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:11 PM

If you prefer tapioca to bread pudding, Woodpecker, there is no hope for you.

2. pinkfloydprism - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM

That is his name because he is only half as good as the real CC and Lee.

3. b453841l - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Didn’t this situation already play out for the Indians with Fausto Carmona/Roberto Hernandez?

4. Lukehart80 - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

You shouldn’t keep souvenirs of a trading. You shouldn’t have been that sentimental.

5. Lukehart80 - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:09 PM

And then what did he do? Did he trade you? Did he reassign you? Did he tell you exactly where to go, what to say? You were a very apt pitcher too, weren’t you? You were a very apt pitcher! Well, why did you pick on me? Why me?!

6. Lukehart80 - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM

One final thing I have to do… and then I’ll be free of this post.

7. butchhuskey - Nov 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM

The movie The Great Debaters not only stars the famous actors Denzel Washington and Forrest Whitaker, but also features an actor named Denzel Whitaker. Go figure.

8. huffdaddyco - Nov 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Thanks for the Vertigo shout-out, C.C.

9. anxovies - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Vertigo? Captain Crunch? Really? And we are only a month into the silly season. We are with you Craig, you are not alone. Try to keep it together, only 3 months to go.

10. Kevin Gillman - Nov 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Craig, Lee can contribute for the Indians big time in 2013. He has decent stuff, and has moved up the rankings. I’ll say this, if the Indians can get the lead, the game is over because their bullpen is the strength…..but they just HAVE to take the lead, first.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3479)