Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox among clubs interested in free agent shortstop Stephen Drew

Nov 20, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT

stephen drew getty Getty Images

Stephen Drew hit just .223/.309/.348 in 327 plate appearances this past season between the D’Backs and A’s. But the 29-year-old free agent is still going to attract a pretty decent market this offseason.

According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Tigers, Yankees and Red Sox are among the teams that have already expressed interest in Drew. And the Cardinals and Rays could eventually join the fray.

The Tigers are reportedly dangling Jhonny Peralta and would presumably make Drew their new starting shortstop if they can find a trade partner. In Boston, Drew could serve as a stopgap for Jose Iglesias.

The Yankees are viewing Drew more as a super sub, which might not be of interest to him.

Drew is a .265/.328/.433 career hitter. He slugged 21 home runs in 2008 for the Snakes.

1. teaspoon1731 - Nov 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Dear Red Sox, please no. We’ve spent our time with the Drew family. We’ve also spent plenty of time with injury prone short stops. We’re good. Please move along.

• bozosforall - Nov 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM

You idiots should have kept Scutaro…now he is a World Champion and your team SUCKS.

• aceshigh11 - Nov 21, 2012 at 1:35 PM

And you’re still a vile, hateful cretin who’s obsessed with the Red Sox.

Happy Thanksgiving, Slingblade.

• bozosforall - Nov 24, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Obsession? That would be the century-long hatred of all things New York emanating from the New England vile hateful cretins that you associate with, crybaby.

Now bend over, asseshigh…so your butt buddy can shove a turkey drumstick up your hungry bunghole.

• paperlions - Nov 21, 2012 at 8:01 AM

I hate to support an argument made by a bozo, but RS fans kind of are idiots, at least with respect to JD Drew. During his 4 healthy seasons there (2007-2010) he was 56th among all hitters in MLB in WAR, which is….you know…pretty good. He was also 26th in OBP and played a good RF. He just didn’t lead the league in gatorade cooler bashing…so, he sucked.

Also, he single handedly kept the RS alive against the Indians in the 2007 playoffs…and he was good to great in 5 of the 6 playoff series he played in for the RS.

• bobwsc - Nov 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM

bashing an entire fan base because some of its fans trash a player is, well, idiotic. so you’re more of a kindred spirit to Bozo than you like to give yourself credit for.

• paperlions - Nov 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Of piss off and thicken your skin….I said “kind of idiots”, which is hardly bashing….and I live in the middle of RS country, nearly every RS fan hated Drew, and they still think he sucked. As a group, they are blind to his contributions.

• bobwsc - Nov 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM

you’re citing pink-hats then, not fans that actually know what’s going on. and you leveraged a post by Bozo…enough said.

• soxfan79 - Nov 21, 2012 at 1:57 PM

You’re leaving out 3 important facts.

1. He was injured a LOT, averaging only 121 games per year with the Sox. I’m pretty sure he was on the DL every year.

2. You conveniently left out his 2011 stats, which were awful.

3. He was paid $14MM per year and definitely didn’t play at a level that warranted that kind of salary.

• teaspoon1731 - Nov 21, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I don’t think Drew sucked. Far from it. I didn’t like him because he was a robot, and I prefer players who are a touch more, say… personable?

• teaspoon1731 - Nov 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM

And yeah, his contract was completely ridiculous.

2. westcoastredbird - Nov 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Ditto from St. Louis.

3. kgsmith - Nov 20, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Drew is like the ugly woman at the dance, just keep looking..

4. joerymi - Nov 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Is there a weaker position currently?

5. historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM

What? I don’t understand this. It would be a totally lateral move for us. Peralta’s career numbers are .264/.327/.422. Drew’s WAR was -.6 this season & Peralta’s was .9. I don’t understand the swap. Peralta’s BA was a little lower this year, but not enough to make this a worthwhile move. ???

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Plus we bought Dixon Machado (SS) today.

• weaselpuppy - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Machado was simply so he isnt exposed to teh rule 5 draft. He has less of a bat than worth….but his glove is GG level….

IF this is part of a merrygoround to get Upton, then you have to resign Anibal too….I’m not a big fan of losing Castellanos. Garcia Im ok with,,,,he has a lot of upside but he’s still raw and has more bust possiblity. Castellanos floor is likely someone like Dave Magadan/Kelly Gruber, his projection is MIchael Young or …George Kell

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 7:39 AM

I think re-signing Sanchez is a priority for them. Judging from comments the other day (think it was from DD), they want to develop both Garcia & Castellanos more — but, of course, that can be what you’re thinking and then a fabulous trade opportunity appears. My thinking, though, was that they were going to stick with Peralta and Machado was fielding insurance. I appreciate all of these on-field upgrades, but I’m still worried about the bullpen a bit. In any case, I’m not a fan of trading Peralta and then using Drew and Worth. Yuck.

• paperlions - Nov 21, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I don’t think Castellanos is going anywhere….but if I was a Tigers fan, I’d be worried. The guy is generally regarded as one of the 3 best hitting prospects in all of the minors with annual AS potential….I doubt the Tigers trade him in a deal for Upton…as Castellanos value >>>> Upton’s when you consider potential, production, and salary.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM

The thing that makes me nervous on that is that we want to win next year. I don’t want them to throw the baby out with the bathwater building a team that can win now. I want to win in 2013 (2012 :( ) too, but I don’t want them to gut our future prospects to do it. I really thought bringing in Torii for 2 years gave them time to season Garcia and Catellanos, and that was part of the benefit of that deal.

• Just a Fan - Nov 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM

It is a way to trade for Justin Upton. The Tigers are going hard after him. Arizona wants Peralta. The tigers tried to trade for Drew at the deadline this year. It is someone the want. Flipping Peralta to the Diamondbacks is just to help the deal for Upton.

Upton, Jackson, Hunter……that will cover all the ground in Comerica’s Outfield and some of the infield too!

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I guess, but I don’t see why Arizona wouldn’t just take Drew themselves then (since it’s sixes). I don’t want to make our infield any weaker. It’s not like defensively we have the best 2b & 3b, so you need a good ss.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I guess I’m the only one who took DD seriously when he said they wanted to start playing Garcia & Castellanos regularly…

6. krzyman70 - Nov 20, 2012 at 10:13 PM

If the Tigers sign Drew, Peralta is gonna be part of a deal to bring Upton from Arizona. Peralta, Garcia, Smyly to Arizona. Drew and Worth to platoon short. Outfield will consist of Upton, Jackson and Hunter.

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM

But, I hate to lose Smyly, and Worth’s numbers are worse than Peralta’s. Now, if they kept Peralta and passed off Drew and Worth…

• paperlions - Nov 21, 2012 at 8:18 AM

That package is NOT getting Upton.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Oh, but if they add Quintin…lol

7. legacybroken - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

If we’re going to sell the farm to get a middle of the order Corner outfield bat it better be to pry the Iron Giant from the Feesh. Now that would be a scary lineup Ajax, Hunter, Miggy, Prince, VMart and Stanton.

8. deathmonkey41 - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I’d rather the Yankees just go with Jayson Nix again- even if he does spell his first name all funny.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Oh, yes, please do that.

9. bozosforall - Nov 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM

bobwsc – Nov 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM

You mean like New England fans have done to Yankee fans for the last one hundred years?

You need to STHU, you hypocritical asshole.

Three legends off to Cooperstown