Yankees agree to one-year, $15M deal with Hiroki Kuroda

Nov 20, 2012, 6:27 PM EST

kuroda getty Getty Images

From ESPN’s Buster Olney comes word that the Yankees have agreed to a one-year, $15 million contract with right-handed starter Hiroki Kuroda.

The deal also includes some performance-based incentives, but they’re worth less than $1 million.

Kuroda was courted this offseason by the Dodgers and Angels, and was said to be considering simply heading back to his native Japan, but the Yankees were able to lure him in for another season with a pact worth slightly more than the $13.3 million qualifying offer that the 37-year-old turned down 10 days ago.

Kuroda posted a 3.32 ERA and 1.17 WHIP in 33 starts this past summer for New York, fanning 167 batters while issuing only 51 walks in 219 2/3 innings. There’s no reason to expect a major drop-off in 2013.

1. randygnyc - Nov 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM

That’s a relief!!! Welcome back “hero”!

• proudlycanadian - Nov 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Cheers Randy! 2013 should be competitive.

• mikefoxtrot - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Jays ‘ll hit well…. don’t know that the pitching will be as good…cant be sure that guys putting up ERAs over 3.5 pitching in the NL East are gonna do any better than 4.5 in the AL East.

2. yankeepunk3000 - Nov 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

wooooo…about time glad to see one guy back. now get Mo and Pettitte and were good to go.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Feeling lucky punk? You should be. A necessary signing by the Yankees. A good move.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 20, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Do not forget Pineda!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Icing on the cake at this point. Yanks and the fans shouldn’t expect anything from him in ’13, but if he does contribute, it’s gravy.

/foodmetaphors

3. proudlycanadian - Nov 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

So Olney got a story right after it had already happened. So far, he does not seem to have explained how he got it so wrong with his claims that the Jays were going to hire either Acta, Tracey or Riggleman. Based on comments by Anthopulos today, besides Gibbons, the other finalists were internal candidates. Wakamatsu and Rivera were the likely internal candidates.

4. uyf1950 - Nov 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Excellent signing, now all they need is Andy to make his decision to come back quick and re-sign. Then Rivera. Then Cashman can concentrate on improving the offense.

5. losangelesfan - Nov 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM

That’s right. I hated on all your comments. Because I hate the Yankees. Boo, Yankees. Boo.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

This Jays fan gave you a thumbs down. The AL East will be fun in 2013.

• uyf1950 - Nov 20, 2012 at 6:48 PM

You must hate your Manager Don Mattingly then. Since he spent his entire career as a player with the YANKEES.

• historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Yea, hater nation!

• bigharold - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

losangelsfan, … don’t hate the Yankees, .. love the Angels.

I hear they’re getting Figgins back!

• anxovies - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Take that! I just hated on you, left coast commie. I am thumb down number 56.

6. dannymac17 - Nov 20, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Ive always said this.

But has there ever been a pitcher that gets the worse run support?

I remember a few years ago after watching him with my Dodgers i said “Self, that guy would be a 20+ game winner on the Yankees”

and boy, was i wrong.

Welcome back Kuroda, always loved your stuff regardless of my hate for the pin stripes.

7. echech88 - Nov 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM

And in related, soon to happen news: The Dodgers just signed Zack Greinke for 2 billion dollars

8. historiophiliac - Nov 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM

So, he is no longer on the Red Sox’ radar?

9. randygnyc - Nov 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Proudly- no ones forgotten Pineda. Expect him back around the all star break. Looks like CC, Kuroda, nova, Hughes, pettitte (probably) and phelps.

I expect Hughes and phelps to be dealt this offseason for a number 2 type starter (just a hunch)

• proudlycanadian - Nov 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Who knows Randy? The Yankees do not leak their plans.

10. wj4122 - Nov 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I loved what kuroda did in la but he is a loyal guy and I’m glad he chose to stay and pitch in New York. Just a good guy all around on top of being consistantly solid.

11. vallewho - Nov 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Hero!

12. tuberippin - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Arguably the most consistent pitcher of any Asian pitcher to have played in the MLB.

13. scoobies05 - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:02 AM

why would someone give up a number 2 starter for hughes and phelps?

14. roverkarlthecannedham - Nov 21, 2012 at 4:26 AM

A solid move at last. Hiroki Kuroda deserves more credit for being a very good pitcher. I am glad he is back.
    \Kuroda歓迎の氏。

• proudlycanadian - Nov 21, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Since pigs have been known to wallow in the mud, I was wondering if you could tell me what happened to a Yankee fan who called himself Dirty Harry?

• roverkarlthecannedham - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Hello my friend. dirtyharry, I know this one. You mean that serial troll, do you not? He was as a plague onto you, I believe. You and that cur fellow. The one that thinks he is funny. I like that guy’s handle. But, I have no idea what happened to Mr. Harry. I can assure you that sort always makes a bad end.

I am reminded of a story my father told me. Growing up poor in Louisiana he had a neighbor across the lake. A repellent man, an old time racist and serial beater of wives. This man hated his other neighbor with who he shared a fence. That neighbor was an age mate and a black fellow. Father did not elaborate much on if the black fellow was of any account. Anyhow these two feuded for decades. Dogs shot, cars burnt, fist fights and so on. One day the black fellow dropped dead from a heart attack. After the family had left, father, who worked as a grave digger in those days, noticed the old racist was standing there at the grave side, crying. Father asked him what he was doing there since it was well known that the two loathed one another. The old racist replied that the only person in the world that gave a damn for him was now dead.

So it goes for our friend Mr. Harry, I think. You were the only person who gave a damn for him and I think he liked you for it. He liked you in the only way that such people like. He knows only spite and mockery but he cared enough to vent it at you and no one else. To your credit I think you saw in him that his fevered bile was his way of caring. They say that the opposite of love is not hate. It is indifference. Let none of us be indifferent.

15. uyf1950 - Nov 21, 2012 at 5:32 AM

I read on another blog (MLBTR) that the Red Sox were pushing hard to sign Kuroda before he just signed with the Yankees.
    This year is beginning to look an awful lot like last years off and pre season for the Red Sox. They have a lot of “interest in”, etc… various ballplayers but for reasons I think we can all understand those ballplayers do NOT have a lot of interest in the Red Sox. Just my opinion.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 21, 2012 at 7:01 AM

The Red Sox will probably be leaking stories that they were in on a lot of potential signings and trades. For example, John Henry has said that they tried to make a trade with the Marlins. On a positive note, the Red Sox have signed a back up catcher.

• uyf1950 - Nov 21, 2012 at 9:24 AM

True the Red Sox have indeed signed a back up catcher, that let’s be honest they overpaid for. And of all their needs for 2013 a back up catcher was probably pretty low on their need list. They need a 1st baseman, a shortstop, a right-fielder, a left-fielder and least one quality starting pitcher may be 2. And in my opinion they need a closer. Bailey, Melancon, Bard and or Aceves are not the answer. And even after all of that they need Lester to pitch at the very least like a #1 or #2 and not a #5 in 2013. But they did sign a back up catcher. Most of their prospects who are position players are nice pieces but they are role players not starters at this point and who knows they may never be.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I forgot to mention that they were able to trade for a manager whose dream job is to manage that team, warts and all.

• anxovies - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:30 PM

John Henry is too busy trying to figure out why Liverpool is wallowing in the EPL to sign anybody.

16. brandedthefirst - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:09 PM

As a Yankee fan I will hate on me myself if you haters don’t mind? Boo me!!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5457)