Nov 21, 2012, 6:53 AM EST
With Hiroki Kuroda in the fold, the Yankees rotation looks like this: CC Sabathia, Kuroda, Phil Hughes, Ivan Nova and David Phelps. That’ll play, but they really want one more guy. And that guy is presumably mulling it over with his turkey and gravy:
The Andy Pettitte waiting game continues. Pettitte is spending Thanksgiving week with his family at their ranch, making it unlikely that the lefthander will deliver his decision on his baseball future by Thanksgiving.
It’s not that suspenseful a wait, though. For remember his comments during the ALDS when he said that he didn’t feel like a 75-inning 2012 season “scratched the itch” he had when he decided to come back early this year. And if he does come back the Yankees are adding a guy who posted a 2.87 ERA and 69/21 K/BB ratio in those 75 innings.
It’s fashionable to hate on the Yankees after their poor ALCS performance, the Blue Jays making a big splash and all of that. But having Pettitte for a hundred more innings than they had him in 2012 will improve a Yankees team that already had
baseball’s the American League’s best record.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 0
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 60
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)