Nov 21, 2012, 6:53 AM EDT
With Hiroki Kuroda in the fold, the Yankees rotation looks like this: CC Sabathia, Kuroda, Phil Hughes, Ivan Nova and David Phelps. That’ll play, but they really want one more guy. And that guy is presumably mulling it over with his turkey and gravy:
The Andy Pettitte waiting game continues. Pettitte is spending Thanksgiving week with his family at their ranch, making it unlikely that the lefthander will deliver his decision on his baseball future by Thanksgiving.
It’s not that suspenseful a wait, though. For remember his comments during the ALDS when he said that he didn’t feel like a 75-inning 2012 season “scratched the itch” he had when he decided to come back early this year. And if he does come back the Yankees are adding a guy who posted a 2.87 ERA and 69/21 K/BB ratio in those 75 innings.
It’s fashionable to hate on the Yankees after their poor ALCS performance, the Blue Jays making a big splash and all of that. But having Pettitte for a hundred more innings than they had him in 2012 will improve a Yankees team that already had
baseball’s the American League’s best record.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (188)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)