Nov 21, 2012, 6:53 AM EDT
With Hiroki Kuroda in the fold, the Yankees rotation looks like this: CC Sabathia, Kuroda, Phil Hughes, Ivan Nova and David Phelps. That’ll play, but they really want one more guy. And that guy is presumably mulling it over with his turkey and gravy:
The Andy Pettitte waiting game continues. Pettitte is spending Thanksgiving week with his family at their ranch, making it unlikely that the lefthander will deliver his decision on his baseball future by Thanksgiving.
It’s not that suspenseful a wait, though. For remember his comments during the ALDS when he said that he didn’t feel like a 75-inning 2012 season “scratched the itch” he had when he decided to come back early this year. And if he does come back the Yankees are adding a guy who posted a 2.87 ERA and 69/21 K/BB ratio in those 75 innings.
It’s fashionable to hate on the Yankees after their poor ALCS performance, the Blue Jays making a big splash and all of that. But having Pettitte for a hundred more innings than they had him in 2012 will improve a Yankees team that already had
baseball’s the American League’s best record.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 14
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 41
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)