Matt LaPorta goes unclaimed on waivers, sent to Triple-A

Nov 21, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

Matt LaPorta Getty Images

Here’s how far Matt LaPorta‘s stock has fallen since he was the centerpiece of the package Cleveland received for CC Sabathia in mid-2008: Yesterday the Indians dropped LaPorta from the 40-man roster and he went unclaimed by the other 29 teams on waivers.

That means LaPorta–now 28 years old and the owner a career .694 OPS in 291 games in the majors–will remain in the Indians’ organization after being sent outright to Triple-A. He’s no longer on the 40-man roster, however, so if he performs well in the minors the Indians would have to re-add him before a potential call-up.

LaPorta underwent hip surgery last month that makes him no sure thing to be healthy by Opening Day, so the former seventh overall pick is facing some long odds.

1. tcostant - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Didn’t this happen to Nelson Cruz and then two years later he was a star. This doesn’t mean he won’t make it…

• uwsptke - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:49 AM

It was almost the identical situation as Cruz. He was part of the Carlos Lee trade to the Rangers, but the Brewers wanted Kevin Mench back in the deal so they threw in Cruz who at 26 was getting too old to be considered much of a prospect at the time. The Rangers removed him from the 40 man, so anyone could have nabbed him then, but everyone passed.

Sidenote – from discussion with people who knew the inner workings of the Brewers’ minor league clubhouses, LaPorta is a douche. One minor league team was having its players sign game used jerseys to auction off for charity, and when approached to do his part LaPorta quipped, “What’s in it for me?” and walked away.

• Just a Fan - Nov 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Heresy………………you were not there. That is defamation of character, a felony.

• Detroit Michael - Nov 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM

“Hearsay” and “heresy” are two completely different words.

I wonder whether accusing someone of commiting a felony when you don’t know what you’re talking about might constitute defamation of character.

• Jeremy Fox - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Heresy? I wasn’t aware that the Catholic Church had official dogma on whether Matt LaPorta is a douche…

• hermie13 - Nov 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM

This happened to Brandon Phillips too only he was dealt.

Granted this also happened to Andy Marte. Still think there is some potential from LaPorta. Wont be a star but think he could still make this club once healthy.

2. Just a Fan - Nov 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I like this guy, I think in a new city he can break out. I like him as a baseball player, I don’t know him or pretend to.

3. Charles Gates - Nov 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Took me a moment, but I just realized that LaPorta and LaHair are different players.

4. Kevin Gillman - Nov 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I bet Cleveland was begging other teams to take him, very sad nobody did. I know I have seen enough of him.

5. anxovies - Nov 23, 2012 at 9:17 AM

No! No! Hearsay is … Oh, forget it, I like the felony and heresy better.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline