Nov 21, 2012, 9:31 AM EDT
Jeff Passan takes a look at Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins today and strongly suggests that, since they’re punting everything anyway, they trade their most valuable chip now. The basis of that suggestion: some very appealing assessments by MLB insiders of the haul that Marlins could get for him:
The executives, granted anonymity because they did not want to speak publicly about another team’s player, almost all agreed on the sort of package necessary to acquire Stanton: three top-of-the-line, major league or major league-ready players with next to no service time, plus another two or three prospects to fortify a Marlins farm system that would be the best in baseball.
That’s a lot — and it would certainly enrage what’s left of the Marlins fan base — but one of Passan’s sources has a pretty good quote about why that’s OK. And Passan has some epic-level Loria descriptors if you’re into that sort of thing (I am) so it’s a fun article all the same.
Nov 1, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Yost said the procedure is “absolutely nothing to worry about” and that he plans to take extra precaution next spring and use a lot of sunscreen.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
The Angels are expected to address their pitching needs by making Howie Kendrick or David Freese available in a trade.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Veteran lefty Jeff Francis has agreed to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training with the Blue Jays.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
The Blue Jays will exercise a $6.7 million club option on J.A. Happ for the 2015 season.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Twins prospect Byron Buxton had surgery on Thursday to repair a dislocated middle finger on his left hand.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Nick Markakis is a free agent after the Orioles declined their half of a $17.5 million mutual option for the 2015 season.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Pablo Sandoval says he wants to retire a Giant. He’s a free agent and is expected to sign a lengthy, expensive contract.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
Chad Billingsley is now a free agent after the Dodgers declined their club option for the 2015 season.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Colby Lewis will test free agency after he and the Rangers couldn’t strike a deal.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Madison Bumgarner’s post-season performance prompted Jockey to make underwear with “Mad Bum” on the backside, a special gift to Giants fans at Friday’s World Series parade in San Francisco.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
This season Hawkins became one of 16 pitchers in MLB history with 1,000 or more appearances and if healthy he’ll move into the top 10 next season.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
But will he accept it?
Oct 31, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Rios is now a free agent coming off a season in which he hit .280 with four homers and a .709 OPS in 131 games.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The end of this awkward, orchestrated process is in sight.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
He’ll be eligible for free agency next offseason at age 34.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Both players will reject the offers.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Here we go.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Dirks missed the entire season following back surgery and then a hamstring injury.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Go O.D. on some hot trolley action.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Chavez played for the Yankees in 2011 and 2012.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 41
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 72
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 26
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 132
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 32
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 110
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 89
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (111)